Clinical effect of platelet rich plasma in the treatment of periodontal intrabony defects. Systematic review and meta-analysis.
AbstractIntroduction: One of the consequences of periodontitis is periodontal intrabony defects (PID). Various biomaterials have been used for its treatment, but there is still no biomaterial considered as the gold standard. Current research is focused on the use of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) for the treatment of PID. Objective: To determine the clinical effect of PRP in the treatment of PID through a systematic review with meta-analysis. Materials and Methods: A literature search was conducted until February 2017 in the biomedical databases: Pubmed, Embase, Scielo, Science Direct, SIGLE, LILACS, IBECS, and the Cochrane Central Register of Clinical Trials. The criteria for the selection of the studies, which were randomized clinical trials, were the following: articles or papers published in the last 5 years, reporting clinical effects, with a follow-up time equal to or greater than 6 months, and a sample size equal to or greater than 10 patients reporting the use of PRP as a treatment for PID. The methodological quality of the studies was analyzed using the Cochrane Handbook of Systematic Reviews of Interventions as a reference. Results: The search strategy yielded nine articles reporting a reduction in probing depth and gingival recession, and an increase in clinical insertion level when using PRP alone or in combination with another biomaterial. Conclusion: The reviewed literature suggests that the use of PRP in the treatment of PID has a positive clinical effect.
2. Hou X, Yuan J, Aisaiti A, Liu Y, Zhao J. The effect of platelet-rich plasma on clinical outcomes of the surgical treatment of periodontal intrabony defects: A systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Oral Health. 2016;16(1):71.
3. Preeja C, Arun S. Platelet-rich fibrin: Its role in periodontal regeneration. Saudi J Dent Res. 2014;4:117–22.
4. Sander L, Karring T. Healing of periodontal lesions in monkeys following the guided tissue regeneration procedure. A histological study. J Clin Periodontol. 1995;22(4):332–7.
5. Shah M, Deshpande N, Bharwani A, Nadig P, Doshi V, Dave D. Effectiveness of autologous platelet-rich fibrin in the treatment of intra-bony defects: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2014;18(6):698–704.
6. Panda S, Ramamoorthi S, Jayakumar ND, Sankari M, Varghese SS. Platelet rich fibrin and alloplast in the treatment of intrabony defect. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2014;6(2):127–31.
7. Chen FM, Zhang J, Zhang M, An Y, Chen F, Wu ZF. A review on endogenous regenerative technology in periodontal regenerative medicine. Biomaterials. 2010;31(31):7892–927.
8. Calzada-Bandomo A, Calzada-Bandomo A, Mora-Pérez C. Terapia periodontal regenerativa: antecedentes y perspectivas. Medisur. 2013;11(5):518–26.
9. Cochran DL, Wozney JM. Biological mediators for periodontal regeneration. Periodontol 2000. 1999;19:40–58.
10. Mihaylova Z, Mitev V, Stanimirov P, Isaeva A, Gateva N, Ishkitiev N. Use of platelet concentrates in oral and maxillofacial surgery: an overview. Acta Odontol Scand. 2017;75(1):1–11.
11. Darby IB, Morris KH. A systematic review of the use of growth factors in human periodontal regeneration. J Periodontol. 2013;84(4):465–76.
12. Shirakata Y, Takeuchi n, Yoshimoto T, Taniyama K, Noguchi K. Effects of enamel matrix derivative and basic fibroblast growth factor with μ-tricalcium phosphate on periodontal regeneration in one-wall intrabony defects: an experimental study in dogs. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2013;33(5):641–9.
13. Maeda H, Wada N, Tomokiyo A, Monnouchi S, Akamine A. Prospective potency of TGF-β1 on maintenance and regeneration of periodontal tissue. Int Rev Cell Mol Biol. 2013;304:283–367.
14. Roselló-Camps A, Monje A, Lin CH, Khoshkam V, Chávez-Gatty M, Wang HL, Gargallo-Albiol J, Hernandez-Alfaro F. Platelet-rich plasma for periodontal regeneration in the treatment of intrabony defects: a meta-analysis on prospective clinical trials. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2015;120(5):562–74.
15. Amable PR, Carias RB, Teixeira MV, da Cruz Pacheco I, Corrêa do Amaral RJ, Granjeiro JM, Borojevic R. Platelet-rich plasma preparation for regenerative medicine: optimization and quantification of cytokines and growth factors. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2013;4(3):67.
16. Babbush CA, Kevy SV, Jacobson MS. An in vitro and in vivo evaluation of autologous platelet concentrate in oral reconstruction. Implant Dent. 2003;12(1):24–34.
17. Prakash S, Thakur A. Platelet concentrates: past, present and future. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2011;10(1):45–9.
18. Giannini S, Cielo A, Bonanome L, Rastelli C, Derla C, Corpaci F, Falisi G. Comparison between PRP, PRGF and PRF: lights and shadows in three similar but different protocols. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2015;19(6):927–30.
19. Bae JH, Kim YK, Myung SK. Effects of platelet-rich plasma on sinus bone graft: meta-analysis. J Periodontol. 2011;82(5):660–7.
20. Del Fabbro M, Bortolin M, Taschieri S, Weinstein R. Is platelet concentrate advantageous for the surgical treatment of periodontal diseases? A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Periodontol. 2011;82(8):1100–11.
21. Gao YF, Guo LW, Zhou J, Li SM. Platelet-rich plasma for the treatment of periodontal intrabony defects: a meta-analysis. Chin J Evidence-Based Med. 2013;13(6):741–6.
22. Peeran SW, Alsaid FM. Platelet Rich Plasma, Is It Of Use In Human Intrabony Periodontal Defects? Int J Scien & Tech Res. 2013;2(3):5–10.
23. Urrútia G, Bonfill X. [PRISMA declaration: a proposal to improve the publication of systematic reviews and meta-analyses]. Med Clin. 2010;135(11):507–11.
24. Higgins JPT, Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. UK: The Cochrane Collaboration; 2011.
25. Shukla S, Chug A, Mahesh L, Grover HS. Effect of Addition of Platelet-rich Plasma to Calcium Phosphosilicate Putty on Healing at 9 Months in Periodontal Intrabony Defects. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2016;17(3):230–4.
26. Agarwal P, Chatterjee A, Gokhale S, Singh HP, Kandwal A. Evaluation of platelet-rich plasma alone or in combination with demineralized freeze dried bone allograft in treatment of periodontal infrabony defects: A comparative clinical trial. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2016;20(1):42–7.
27. Gamal AY, Abdel Ghaffar KA, Alghezwy OA. Crevicular Fluid Growth Factors Release Profile Following the Use of Platelet-Rich Fibrin and Plasma Rich Growth Factors in Treating Periodontal Intrabony Defects: A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Periodontol. 2016;87(6):654–62.
28. Khosropanah H, Shahidi S, Basri A, Houshyar M. Treatment of Intrabony Defects by DFDBA Alone or in Combination with PRP: A Split-Mouth Randomized Clinical and Three-Dimensional Radiographic Trial. J Dent. 2015;12(10):764–73.
29. Gupta G. Clinical and radiographic evaluation of intra-bony defects in localized aggressive periodontitis patients with platelet rich plasma/hydroxyapatite graft: A comparative controlled clinical trial. Contemp Clin Dent. 2014;5(4):445–51.
30. Agarwal A, Gupta ND. Platelet-rich plasma combined with decalcified freeze-dried bone allograft for the treatment of noncontained human intrabony periodontal defects: a randomized controlled split-mouth study. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2014;34(5):705–11.
31. Döri F, Arweiler N, Húszár T, Gera I, Miron RJ, Sculean A. Five-year results evaluating the effects of platelet-rich plasma on the healing of intrabony defects treated with enamel matrix derivative and natural bone mineral. J Periodontol. 2013;84(11):1546–55.
32. Hassan KS, Alagl AS, Abdel-Hady A. Torus mandibularis bone chips combined with platelet rich plasma gel for treatment of intrabony osseous defects: clinical and radiographic evaluation. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;41(12):1519–26.
33. Pradeep AR, Rao NS, Agarwal E, Bajaj P, Kumari M, Naik SB. Comparative evaluation of autologous platelet-rich fibrin and platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of 3-wall intrabony defects in chronic periodontitis: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2012;83(12):1499–507.
34. Smaïl-Faugeron V, Fron-Chabouis H, Courson F, Durieux P. Comparison of intervention effects in split-mouth and parallel-arm randomized controlled trials: a meta-epidemiological study. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014;14:64.
35. Fu JH, Wang HL. Platelet-rich plasma has no additional benefit during guided tissue regeneration procedure to significantly improve clinical attachment gains in the treatment of periodontal intrabony defects. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2012;12(1):5–7.
36. Panda S, Doraiswamy J, Malaiappan S, Varghese SS, Del Fabbro M. Additive effect of autologous platelet concentrates in treatment of intrabony defects: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Investig Clin Dent. 2016;7(1):13–26.
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms. © 2023.