Five canals on mandibular first molar successfully managed by undergraduate dental student: An Educational Case Report.
AbstractUndergraduate dental student’s eligibility and ability to treat difficult endodontic cases is a new area open for debate. A fifth year undergraduate dental student managed to perform a successful root canal treatment (RCT) on a 42 year old male patient diagnosed as a rare case of mandibular first molar with five root canals. As an educational case report, in a country like Sudan, close supervision and clinical training of undergraduate students in treating difficult endodontic cases is recommended.
2. Miloglu O, Arslan H, Barutcigil C, Cantekin K. Evaluating root and canal configuration of mandibular first molars with cone beam computed tomography in a Turkish population. J Dent Sci. 2013;8:80e–6.
3. Zhang X, Xiong S, Ma Y, Han T, Chen X, Wan F, Lu Y, Yan S, Wang Y. A Cone-Beam Computed Tomographic Study on Mandibular First Molars in a Chinese Subpopulation. PLoS One. 2015;10(8):e0134919.
4. Khan A, Ahmed R, Chowdhury SS, Qauder SMA. Incidence of four canals in root-canal-treated mandibular first molars in Bangladeshi population. Updat Dent Coll J. 2014;4(2):4–8.
5. Khansar EM, Ghamari M. Mandibular first molar with five canals: a report of three cases. J Dentomaxillofac Radiol Pathol Surg. 2015;4(3):32–35.
6. Maniglia-Ferreira F, de Almeida-Gomes F, de Sousa B C. Management of Six Root Canals in Mandibular First Molar. Case Rep Med. 2015;2015(827070):1–5.
7. Banode AM, Gade V, Patil S, Gade J. Endodontic management of mandibular first molar with seven canals using cone-beam computed tomography. Contemp Clin Dent. 2016;7(2):255–7.
8. Arora A, Acharya SR, Sharma P. Endodontic treatment of a mandibular first molar with 8 canals: a case report. Restor Dent Endod. 2015;40(1):75–8.
9. Nagmode PS, Patel AV, Satpute AB, Gupta PL. Endodontic management of mandibular first molars with mid mesial canal: A case series. J Conserv Dent. 2017;20(2):137–40.
10. Lu Q, Wang P, Yang B, Liu XJ, Wang SY, Yu Q. Endodontic treatments of mandibular first molar with middle mesial canal: two case report. Chin J Dent Res. 2013;16(1):75–8.
11. De Moor R, Hülsmann M, Kirkevang LL, Tanalp J, Whitworth J. Undergraduate curriculum guidelines for endodontology. Int Endod J. 2013;46:1105–14.
12. Segura-Egea JJ, Jiménez-Pinzón A, Poyato-Ferrera M, Velasco-Ortega E, Ríos-Santos JV. Periapical status and quality of root fillings and coronal restorations in an adult Spanish population. Int Endod J. 2004;37(8):525–30.
13. Barrieshi-Nusair KM, Al-Omari MA, Al-Hiyasat AS. Radiographic technical quality of root canal treatment performed by dental students at the Dental Teaching Center in Jordan. J Dent. 2004;32(4):301–7.
14. Jenkins SM, Hayes SJ, Dummer PM. A study of endodontic treatment carried out in dental practice within the UK. Int Endod J. 2001;34(1):16–22.
15. Shetty N, Kundabala M, Shenoy R. Attitude and perception of undergraduate dental students toward endodontics as a specialty in India. J Educ Ethics Dent. 2014;4:8–11.
16. Qualtrough AJ. Undergraduate endodontic education: what are the challenges? Br Dent J. 2014;216(6):361–4.
17. Mirza MB. Difficulties Encountered during Transition from Preclinical to Clinical Endodontics among Salman bin Abdul Aziz University Dental Students. J Int Oral Health. 2015;7(Suppl 1):22–7.
18. Cowpe J, Plasschaert A, Harzer W, Vinkka-Puhakka H, Walmsley AD. Profile and competences for the graduating European dentist - update 2009. Eur J Dent Educ. 2010;14(4):193–202.
19. Tanalp J, Güven EP, Oktay I. Evaluation of dental students' perception and self-confidence levels regarding endodontic treatment. Eur J Dent. 2010;7(2):218–24.
20. Awooda EM, Siddig RI, Alturki RS, Sanhouri NM. Radiographic technical quality of root canal treatment performed by undergraduate dental students at the Academy Dental Teaching Hospital, UMST, Sudan. J Int Soc Prevent Communit Dent. 2016;6:554–8.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.