Clinical effect of platelet rich fibrin in the treatment of periodontal intrabony defects. Systematic review and meta-analysis.
AbstractBackground: There is currently no gold standard biomaterial for the treatment of periodontal intrabony defects (PIDs). One of the current options is the use of platelet-rich fibrin (PRF). Objective: To determine the clinical effect of PRF in the treatment of PID through a systematic review and meta-analysis. Materials and Methods: A literature search was conducted up to February 2017 in the following biomedical databases: Pubmed, Embase, Scielo, Science Direct, SIGLE, LILACS and in the Cochrane Central Register of Clinical Trials. The selection criteria included: randomized clinical trials published in the last 5 years, reporting clinical effects (probing depth, clinical insertion level or gingival recession), with a follow-up time equal to or greater than 6 months, and sample size larger than or equal to 10 patients reporting the use of PRF as a treatment for PID. The methodological quality of the studies was analyzed using the Cochrane Handbook of Systematic Reviews of Interventions as a reference. Results: The search strategy yielded 20 articles. A reduction in probing depth and an increase in clinical insertion level or a reduction in gingival recession is reported, when using PRF alone or in combination with another biomaterial or substance that stimulates tissue regeneration. Conclusion: The literature suggests that the use of PRF in the treatment of PIDs has a beneficial clinical effect when compared to control treatments.
2. Hou X, Yuan J, Aisaiti A, Liu Y, Zhao J. The effect of platelet-rich plasma on clinical outcomes of the surgical treatment of periodontal intrabony defects: A systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Oral Health. 2016;16(1):71.
3. Preeja C, Arun S. Platelet-rich fibrin: Its role in periodontal regeneration. Saudi J Dent Res. 2014;4:117–22.
4. Sander L, Karring T. Healing of periodontal lesions in monkeys following the guided tissue regeneration procedure. A histological study. J Clin Periodontol. 1995;22(4):332–7.
5. Shah M, Deshpande N, Bharwani A, Nadig P, Doshi V, Dave D. Effectiveness of autologous platelet-rich fibrin in the treatment of intra-bony defects: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2014;18(6):698–704.
6. Panda S, Ramamoorthi S, Jayakumar ND, Sankari M, Varghese SS. Platelet rich fibrin and alloplast in the treatment of intrabony defect. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2014;6(2):127–31.
7. Chen FM, Zhang J, Zhang M, An Y, Chen F, Wu ZF. A review on endogenous regenerative technology in periodontal regenerative medicine. Biomaterials. 2010;31(31):7892–927.
8. Cochran DL, Wozney JM. Biological mediators for periodontal regeneration. Periodontol 2000. 1999;19:40–58.
9. Mihaylova Z, Mitev V, Stanimirov P, Isaeva A, Gateva N, Ishkitiev N. Use of platelet concentrates in oral and maxillofacial surgery: an overview. Acta Odontol Scand. 2017;75(1):1–11.
10. Darby IB, Morris KH. A systematic review of the use of growth factors in human periodontal regeneration. J Periodontol. 2013;84(4):465–76.
11. Maeda H, Wada N, Tomokiyo A, Monnouchi S, Akamine A. Prospective potency of TGF-β1 on maintenance and regeneration of periodontal tissue. Int Rev Cell Mol Biol. 2013;304:283–367.
12. Babbush CA, Kevy SV, Jacobson MS. An in vitro and in vivo evaluation of autologous platelet concentrate in oral reconstruction. Implant Dent. 2013;12(1):24–34.
13. Graves DT, Cochran DL. Periodontal regeneration with polypeptide growth factors. Curr Opin Periodontol. 1994:178–86.
14. Prakash S, Thakur A. Platelet concentrates: past, present and future. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2011;10(1):45–9.
15. Giannini S, Cielo A, Bonanome L, Rastelli C, Derla C, Corpaci F, Falisi G. Comparison between PRP, PRGF and PRF: lights and shadows in three similar but different protocols. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2015;19(6):927–30.
16. Choukroun J, Adda F, Schoeffler C, Vervelle A. Une opportunité en paro-implantologie: Le PRF. Implantodontie. 2001;42:55–62.
17. Urrútia G, Bonfill X. [PRISMA declaration: a proposal to improve the publication of systematic reviews and meta-analyses]. Med Clin. 2010;135(11):507–11.
18. Higgins JPT, Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. UK: The Cochrane Collaboration; 2011.
19. Sezgin Y, Uraz A, Taner IL, Çulhaoğlu R. Effects of platelet-rich fibrin on healing of intra-bony defects treated with anorganic bovine bone mineral. Braz Oral Res. 2017;31:e15.
20. Galav S, Chandrashekar KY, Mishra R, Tripathi V, Agarwal R, Galav A. Comparative evaluation of platelet-rich fibrin and autogenous bone graft for the treatment of infrabony defects in chronic periodontitis: Clinical, radiological, and surgical reentry. Indian J Dent Res. 2016;27(5):502–7.
21. Chadwick JK, Mills MP, Mealey BL. Clinical and Radiographic Evaluation of Demineralized Freeze-Dried Bone Allograft Versus Platelet-Rich Fibrin for the Treatment of Periodontal Intrabony Defects in Humans. J Periodontol. 2016;87(11):1253–60.
22. Chandradas ND, Ravindra S, Rangaraju VM, Jain S, Dasappa S. Efficacy of platelet rich fibrin in the treatment of human intrabony defects with or without bone graft: A randomized controlled trial. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2016;6(Suppl 2):S153–9.
23. Kanoriya D, Pradeep AR, Singhal S, Garg V, Guruprasad CN. Synergistic Approach Using Platelet-Rich Fibrin and 1% Alendronate for Intrabony Defect Treatment in Chronic Periodontitis: A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Periodontol. 2016;87(12):1427–35.
24. Chatterjee A, Pradeep AR, Garg V, Yajamanya S, Ali MM, Priya VS. Treatment of periodontal intrabony defects using autologous platelet-rich fibrin and titanium platelet-rich fibrin: a randomized, clinical, comparative study. J Investig Clin Dent. 2016:[Epub ahead of print].
25. Aydemir Turkal H, Demirer S, Dolgun A, Keceli HG. Evaluation of the adjunctive effect of platelet-rich fibrin to enamel matrix derivative in the treatment of intrabony defects. Six-month results of a randomized, split-mouth, controlled clinical study. J Clin Periodontol. 2016;43(11):955–64.
26. Martande SS, Kumari M, Pradeep AR, Singh SP, Suke DK, Guruprasad CN. Platelet-Rich Fibrin Combined With 1.2% Atorvastatin for Treatment of Intrabony Defects in Chronic Periodontitis: A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial. J Periodontol. 2016;87(9):1039–46.
27. Agarwal A, Gupta ND, Jain A. Platelet rich fibrin combined with decalcified freeze-dried bone allograft for the treatment of human intrabony periodontal defects: a randomized split mouth clinical trail. Acta Odontol Scand. 2016;74(1):36–43.
28. Gamal AY, Abdel Ghaffar KA, Alghezwy OA. Crevicular Fluid Growth Factors Release Profile Following the Use of Platelet-Rich Fibrin and Plasma Rich Growth Factors in Treating Periodontal Intrabony Defects: A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Periodontol. 2016;87(6):654–62.
29. Panda S, Sankari M, Satpathy A, Jayakumar D, Mozzati M, Mortellaro C, Gallesio G, Taschieri S, Del Fabbro M. Adjunctive Effect of Autologus Platelet-Rich Fibrin to Barrier Membrane in the Treatment of Periodontal Intrabony Defects. J Craniofac Surg. 2016;27(3):691–6.
30. Ajwani H, Shetty S, Gopalakrishnan D, Kathariya R, Kulloli A, Dolas RS, Pradeep AR. Comparative evaluation of platelet-rich fibrin biomaterial and open flap debridement in the treatment of two and three wall intrabony defects. J Int Oral Health. 2015;7(4):32–7.
31. Shah M, Patel J, Dave D, Shah S. Comparative evaluation of platelet-rich fibrin with demineralized freeze-dried bone allograft in periodontal infrabony defects: A randomized controlled clinical study. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2015;19(1):56–60.
32. Pradeep AR, Nagpal K, Karvekar S, Patnaik K, Naik SB, Guruprasad CN. Platelet-rich fibrin with 1% metformin for the treatment of intrabony defects in chronic periodontitis: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2015;86(6):729–37.
33. Mathur A, Bains VK, Gupta V, Jhingran R, Singh GP. Evaluation of intrabony defects treated with platelet-rich fibrin or autogenous bone graft: A comparative analysis. Eur J Dent. 2015;9(1):100–8.
34. Gupta SJ, Jhingran R, Gupta V, Bains VK, Madan R, Rizvi I. Efficacy of platelet-rich fibrin vs. enamel matrix derivative in the treatment of periodontal intrabony defects: a clinical and cone beam computed tomography study. J Int Acad Periodontol. 2014;16(3):86–96.
35. Bansal C, Bharti V. Evaluation of efficacy of autologous platelet-rich fibrin with demineralized-freeze dried bone allograft in the treatment of periodontal intrabony defects. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2013;17(3):361–6.
36. Rosamma Joseph V, Raghunath A, Sharma N. Clinical effectiveness of autologous platelet rich fibrin in the management of infrabony periodontal defects. 2012;33(1):5–12.
37. Pradeep AR, Rao NS, Agarwal E, Bajaj P, Kumari M, Naik SB. Comparative evaluation of autologous platelet-rich fibrin and platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of 3-wall intrabony defects in chronic periodontitis: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2012;83(12):1499–507.
38. Pradeep AR, Rao NS, Agarwal E, Bajaj P, Kumari M, Naik SB. Comparative evaluation of autologous platelet-rich fibrin and platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of 3-wall intrabony defects in chronic periodontitis: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Periodontol. 2012;83(12):1499–507.
39. Smaïl-Faugeron V, Fron-Chabouis H, Courson F, Durieux P. Comparison of intervention effects in split-mouth and parallel-arm randomized controlled trials: a meta-epidemiological study. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014;14:64.
40. Shah M, Deshpande N, Bharwani A, Nadig P, Doshi V, Dave D. Effectiveness of autologous platelet-rich fibrin in the treatment of intra-bony defects: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2014;18(6):698–704.
41. Castro AB, Meschi N, Temmerman A, Pinto N, Lambrechts P, Teughels W, Quirynen M. Regenerative potential of leucocyte- and platelet-rich fibrin. Part A: intra-bony defects, furcation defects and periodontal plastic surgery. A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Periodontol. 2017;44(1):67–82.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.