The effects of composition, diameter and post-curing methods on the flexural properties of fiber posts.
AbstractObjective: This study evaluated the influence of fiber composition, diameter and post-curing treatments performed at relining on flexural strength and modulus of fiber-posts. Materials and methods: Sixty posts of Reforpost® Glass Fiber [GF]) and Reforpost® Carbon Fiber [CF] (Angelus, Londrina, PR, Brazil) with diameters of 1.0mm and 1.4mm were used. Each group was further subdivided into three subgroups (n=5) according to treatment received: dry-stored control group (C), oven-cured (Ov) or autoclaved (Ac). A universal testing machine measured flexural strength and modulus of all specimens. Results: Post composition and post-curing treatments had no significant effects on flexural properties of specimens while post diameter had significant effects (p< 0.05). The highest flexural strength and modulus (MPa) (1331±95.8 and 21532±1550, respectively) were obtained with Ov/GF/1.1, while lowest values (890±79.4 and 10675±952, respectively) were for Ac/GF/1.5. Conclusions: 1.1mm diameter posts had better mechanical properties than 1.5mm thick posts. Neither post composition nor post-curing procedures affected the mechanical properties of relined posts.
2. Lassila LV, Tanner J, Le Bell AM, Narva K, Vallittu PK. Flexural properties of fiber reinforced root canal posts. Dent Mater. 2004;20:29-36.
3. Fernandes AS, Shetty S, Coutinho I. Factors determining post selection: a literature review. J Prosthet Dent. 2003;90:556-62.
4. Uzunoğlu E, Türker SA, Yilmaz Z. Influence of cement type and thickness on polyfiber post adhesion. J Conserv Dent. 2014;17(3):255-60.
5. Juloski J, Fadda GM, Monticelli F, Fajó-Pascual M, Goracci C, Ferrari M. Four-year Survival of Endodontically Treated Premolars Restored with Fiber Posts. J Dent Res. 2014;93(7 Suppl):52S-58S.
6. Gomes GM, Monte-Alto RV, Santos GO, Fai CK, Loguercio AD, Gomes O, Gomes JC, Reis A. Use of a Direct Anatomic Post in a Flared Root Canal: A Three-year Follow-up. Oper Dent. 2016;41(1):E23-8.
7. da Rosa RA, Bergoli CD, Kaizer OB, Valandro LF. Influence of cement thickness and mechanical cycling on the push-out bond strength between posts and root dentin. Gen Dent. 2011;59:e156-e61.
8. Bouschlicher MR, Rueggeberg FA, Wilson BM. Correlation of bottom-to-top surface microhardness and conversion ratios for a variety of resin composite compositions. Oper Dent. 2004;29:698-704.
9. Flury S, Hayoz S, Peutzfeldt A, Hüsler J, Lussi A. Depth of cure of resin composites: Is the ISO 4049 method suitable for bulk fill materials? Dent Mater. 2012;28:521-8.
10. Almeida-Chetti VA, Macchi RL, Iglesias ME. Effect of post-curing treatment on mechanical properties of composite resins. Acta Odontol Latinoam. 2014;27(2):72-6.
11. Egilmez F, Ergun G, Cekic-Nagas I, Vallittu PK, Lassila LV. Short and long term effects of additional post curing and polishing systems on the color change of dental nano-composites. Dent Mater J. 2013;32(1):107-14.
12. Miyazaki CL, Medeiros IS, Matos JR, Rodriques-Filho LE. Thermal characterization of dental composites by TG/DTG and DSC. J Therm Anal Calorim. 2010;102:361-7.
13. Ferrari M, Vichi A, Garcia-Godoy F. Clinical evaluation of fiber-reinforced epoxy resin posts and cast post and cores. Am J Dent. 2000;13(Spec No):15B-8.
14. Gbadebo OS, Ajayi DM, Oyekunle OO, Shaba PO. Randomized clinical study comparing metallic and glass fiber post in restoration of endodontically treated teeth. Indian J Dent Res. 2014;25(1):58-63.
15. Pereira JR, de Oliveira JA, do Valle AL, Zogheib LV, Ferreira PM, Bastos LG. Effect of carbon and glass fiber posts on the flexural strength and modulus of elasticity of a composite resin. Gen Dent. 2011;59:e144-8.
16. Novais VR, Versluis A, Correr-Sobrinho L, Soares CJ. Three-point bending testing of fibre posts: critical analysis by finite element analysis. Int Endod J. 2011;44:519-24.
17. Abdulmajeed AA, Narhi TO, Vallittu PK, Lassila LV. The effect of high fiber fraction on some mechanical properties of unidirectional glass fiber-reinforced composite. Dent Mater. 2011;27:313-21.
18. Kim MJ, Jung WC, Oh S, Hattori M, Yoshinari M, Kawada E, Oda Y, Bae JM. Flexural properties of three kinds of experimental fiber-reinforced composite posts. Dent Mater J. 2011;30:38-44.
19. Stewardson DA, Shortall AC, Marquis PM. The effect of clinically relevant thermocycling on the flexural properties of endodontic post materials. J Dent. 2010;38:437-42.
20. Nguyen JF, Migonney V, Ruse ND, Sadoun M. Resin composite blocks via high-pressure high-temperature polymerization. Dent Mater. 2012;28(5):529-34.
21. Moraes AP, Sarkis-Onofre R, Moraes RR, Cenci MS, Soares CJ, Pereira-Cenci T. Can Silanization Increase the Retention of Glass-fiber posts? A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of In Vitro Studies. Oper Dent. 2015;40(6):567-80.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.