Quality of life related to oral health in adults with removable prosthetic rehabilitation.
The evaluation of the oral health-related quality of life (OHRQoL) is important for clinical assessment and could be an indicator of the quality of the treatment received. Objective: To evaluate the OHRQoL in adults with removable prostheses in relation with patient characteristics such as age, sex, type and time of use of the prosthesis, previous experience and perception about the stability of the prosthesis. Materials and Methods: 217 patients from the Dental Clinic of the National University of San Marcos-Peru were evaluated after rehabilitation with a removable prosthesis. A structured questionnaire was applied by telephone interview. The evaluation of the OHRQoL was carried out using the General/Geriatric Oral Health Evaluation Index (GOHAI). For the statistical analysis, the Mann Whitney U test, the Kruskal-Wallis H test and the Spearman correlation were used. Results: The sample included 63 men (29%) and 154 women (71%) with an average age of 66.34. The average GOHAI score was 52.44+8.15. The GOHAI score was related to age (p=0.241), sex (p=0.110), type of prosthesis (p=0.069), previous experience (p=0.293), and perception of movement of the prosthesis (p<0.001). Conclusions: The GOHAI score indicates a moderate quality of life related to oral health after prosthetic rehabilitation. The GOHAI index can be considered effective for the evaluation of the OHRQoL.
2. Gutenbrunner C, Ward AB, Chamberlain MA. White Book on Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine in Europe. Eura Medicophys. 2006;42(4): 292-32.
3. Sischo L, Broder HL. Oral health-related quality of life: What, why, how, and future implications. J Dent Res. 2011;90(11):1264-70.
4. Valverde LA, Fernández LO, Vargas KT. Medición del éxito de los pacientes rehabilitados con prótesis removibles. ODOVTOS-Int J Dental Sc. 2016;18(2): 61-72.
5. Degrandi V, Betancourt M, Fabruccini A, Fuentes F. Evaluación del impacto en la calidad de vida de pacientes adultos rehabilitados con nuevas prótesis removibles totales. Odontoestomatología. 2017; 19(29): 64-75.
6. Atchison KA, Dolan TA. Development of the Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index. J Dent Educ. 1990; 54: 680–687.
7. Slade GD. Measuring Oral Health and Quality of Life. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina, Dental Ecology. 1997.
8. Alshammari M, Baseer MA, Ingle NA, Assery MK, Al Khadhari MA. Oral health-related quality of life among elderly people with edentulous jaws in Hafar Al-Batin region, Saudi Arabia. J Int Soc Prevent Communit Dent. 2018;8:495-502.
9. Hsu KJ, Lee HE, Wu YM, Lan SJ, Huang ST, Yen YY: Masticatory factors as predictors of oral health-related quality of life among elderly people in Kaohsiung City Taiwan. Qual Life Res. 2014;23(4):1395–1405.
10. Velásquez PL, Gallardo BJ. Oral health-related quality of life in edentulous patients with complete removable dentures dental. Clinic UCSG 2014. Conrado. 2018; 14(61):161-4
11. Kaushik K, Dhawan P, Tandan P, Jain M. Oral Health-related Quality of Life among Patients after Complete Denture Rehabilitation: A 12-month Follow-up Study. Int J Appl Basic Med Res. 2018; 8(3):169-73.
12. Osman SM, Khalifa N, Alhajj MN. Validation and comparison of the Arabic versions of GOHAI and OHIP-14 in patients with and without denture experience. BMC Oral Health.2018;18:157.
13. İlhan B, Çal E, Dündar N, Güneri P, Dağhan Ş. Oral health-related quality of life among institutionalized patients after dental rehabilitation. Geriatr Gerontol Int.2015;15 (10):1151–7.
14. Bonnet G, Batisse C, Segyo JW, VeyruneJL, Nicolas E, Bessadet M. Influence of the renewal of removable dentures on oral health related quality of life. Springerplus. 2016; 5 (1).
15. Yen YY, Lee HE, Wu YM, Lan SJ, Wang WC, Du JK, Huang ST, Hsu KJ. Impact of removable dentures on oral health-related quality of life among elderly adults in Taiwan. BMC Oral Health. 2015;15(1):1.
16. Von Kretschmann SMD, Torres VA, Sierra FM, Del Pozo BJ, Quiroga AR, Quiroga DPR. Rendimiento masticatorio y nivel de satisfacción de pacientes tratados con prótesis totales en la Universidad Mayor. Rev Clin Periodoncia Implantol Rehabil Oral. 2015;8(1):17-23.
17. Pinzon-Pulido SA, Gil-Montoya JA. Validación del Índice de Valoración en Salud Oral en Geriatría en una población Geriátrica Institucionalizada de Granada. Rev Esp Geriatr y Gerontol. 1999;34(5):273-282.
18. Chahar P, Mohanty VR, Aswini Y B. Oral health-related quality of life among elderly patients visiting special clinics in public hospitals in Delhi, India: A cross-sectional study. Indian J Public Health. 2019;63:15-20
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms. © 2023.