Lymphocyte B and Th17 chemotactic cytokine levels in peri-implant crevicular fluid of patients with healthy, peri-mucositis, and peri-implantitis implants.
Peri-implantitis is one of the leading causes of implant failure and loss, and its early diagnosis is not currently feasible due to the low sensitivity of currents methods. In the current exploratory cross-sectional study, we explored the diagnostic potential of lymphocyte B and Th17-chemotactic cytokine levels in peri-implant crevicular fluid (PICF) in 54 patients with healthy, peri-mucositis, or peri-implantitis implants. Peri-implant crevicular fluid was collected, and the levels of the molecules under study were quantified by Luminex assay. The concentrations of CCL-20 MIP-3 alpha, BAFF/BLYS, RANKL and OPG concentration in PICF were analyzed in the context of patient and clinical variables (smoking status, history of periodontitis, periodontal diagnosis, implant survival, suppuration, bleeding on probing, periodontal probing depth, clinical attachment level, mean of implant probing depth, and plaque index). Patients with peri-implantitis, appear to have an overregulation of the RANKL/BAFF-BLyS axis. This phenomenon needs to be investigated in depth in further studies with a larger sample size.
2. Schwarz F, Derks J, Monje A, Wang HL. Peri-implantitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2018;45 Suppl 20:S246-S266.
3. Rakic M, Struillou X, Petkovic-Curcin A, Matic S, Canullo L, Sanz M, Vojvodic D. Estimation of bone loss biomarkers as a diagnostic tool for peri-implantitis. J Periodontol. 2014;85(11):1566-74.
4. Wang HL, Garaicoa-Pazmino C, Collins A, Ong HS, Chudri R, Giannobile WV. Protein biomarkers and microbial profiles in peri-implantitis. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2016;27(9):1129-36.
5. Renvert S, Persson GR, Pirih FQ, Camargo PM. Peri-implant health, peri-implant mucositis, and peri-implantitis: Case definitions and diagnostic considerations. J Periodontol. 2018;89 Suppl 1:S304-S312.
6. Heitz-Mayfield LJA, Salvi GE. Peri-implant mucositis. J Periodontol. 2018;89 Suppl 1:S257-S266.
7. Berglundh T, Armitage G, Araujo MG, Avila-Ortiz G, Blanco J, Camargo PM, Chen S, Cochran D, Derks J, Figuero E, Hämmerle CHF, Heitz-Mayfield LJA, Huynh-Ba G, Iacono V, Koo KT, Lambert F, McCauley L, Quirynen M, Renvert S, Salvi GE, Schwarz F, Tarnow D, Tomasi C, Wang HL, Zitzmann N. Peri-implant diseases and conditions: Consensus report of workgroup 4 of the 2017 World Workshop on the Classification of Periodontal and Peri-Implant Diseases and Conditions. J Periodontol. 2018;89 Suppl 1:S313-S318.
8. Strimbu K, Tavel JA. What are biomarkers? Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2010;5(6):463-6.
9. Li JY, Wang HL. Biomarkers associated with periimplant diseases. Implant Dent. 2014;23(5):607-11.
10. Konermann A, Götz W, Le M, Dirk C, Lossdörfer S, Heinemann F. Histopathological Verification of Osteo-immunological Mediators in Peri-Implantitis and Correlation to Bone Loss and Implant Functional Period. J Oral Implantol. 2016;42(1):61-8.
11. Yakar N, Guncu GN, Akman AC, Pınar A, Karabulut E, Nohutcu RM. Evaluation of gingival crevicular fluid and peri-implant crevicular fluid levels of sclerostin, TWEAK, RANKL and OPG. Cytokine. 2019;113:433-9.
12. Rakic M, Monje A, Radovanovic S, Petkovic-Curcin A, Vojvodic D, Tatic Z. Is the personalized approach the key to improve clinical diagnosis of peri-implant conditions? The role of bone markers. J Periodontol. [ahead of print], 2019.
13. Pokrowiecki R, Mielczarek A, Zaręba T, Tyski S. Oral microbiome and peri-implant diseases: where are we now? Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2017;13:1529-42.
14. Lee AYS, Körner H. The CCR6-CCL20 axis in humoral immunity and T-B cell immunobiology. Immunobiology. 2019;224(3):449-454.
15. Alvarez C, Benítez A, Rojas L, Pujol M, Carvajal P, Díaz-Zúñiga J, Vernal R. Differential expression of CC chemokines (CCLs) and receptors (CCRs) by human T lymphocytes in response to different Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans serotypes. J Appl Oral Sci. 2015;23(5):536-46.
16. Gümüş P, Buduneli E, Biyikoğlu B, Aksu K, Saraç F, Buduneli N, Lappin DF. Gingival crevicular fluid and serum levels of APRIL, BAFF and TNF-alpha in rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis patients with periodontal disease. Arch Oral Biol. 2013;58(10):1302-8.
17. Abe T, AlSarhan M, Benakanakere MR, Maekawa T, Kinane DF, Cancro MP, Korostoff JM, Hajishengallis G. The B Cell-Stimulatory Cytokines BLyS and APRIL Are Elevated in Human Periodontitis and Are Required for B Cell-Dependent Bone Loss in Experimental Murine Periodontitis. J Immunol. 2015;195(4):1427-35.
18. Gümüş P, Nizam N, Lappin DF, Buduneli N. Saliva and serum levels of B-cell activating factors and tumor necrosis factor-α in patients with periodontitis. J Periodontol. 2014;85(2):270-80.
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 4.0). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms. © 2023.