Can surface protection prevent the loss of hardness on dentin and composite resin surfaces exposed to erosive challenges?
AbstractObjective: This study investigated the effect of endogenous erosion on the microhardness of dentine and a nanofilled composite resin. Procedures for preventing erosion were also studied. Materials and Methods: 90 bovine dentine specimens were divided into three groups in accordance with the method for preventing: negative control, topical application of fluoride and resin-modified glass ionomer varnish. 120 composite resin specimens were distributed into four groups, which also included a resin sealant, among the preventive procedures. Specimens were then randomly divided into three sub-groups according to the exposure to simulate gastric acid solution and subsequent remineralization: negative control, 9 and 18 cycles. Surface analysis was carried out by measuring the Knoop hardness. The data obtained were statistically analyzed using 2-way ANOVA and Tukey test. Result: The mean hardness of dentine and of the composite specimens resin exhibited lower hardness after 18 cycles. However, the resin-modified glass ionomer varnish resulted in greater values compared to the other preventive procedures. Conclusion: A resin-modified glass ionomer varnish seems to be a promising method for minimizing the damage caused by endogenous acid, but its protection can be reduced depending on the intensity of the erosive challenge.
2. Khan AA, Siddiqui AZ, Al-Kheraif AA, Zahid A, Divakar DD. Effect of different pH solvents on micro-hardness and surface topography of dental nano-composite: An in vitro analysis. Pak J Med Sci. 2015;31(4):854-9
3. Wang YL, Chang HH, Chiang YC, Lu YC, Lin CP.Effects of fluoride and epigallocatechin gallate on soft-drink-induced dental erosion of enamel and root dentin. J Formos Med Assoc. 2018;117(4):276-282.
4. Ranjitkar S, Kaidonis JA, Smales RJ. Gastroesophageal reflux disease and tooth erosion. Int J Dent. 2012; 1-10.
5. Bartlett DW, Coward PW. Comparison of the erosive potential of gastric juice and a carbonated drink in vitro. J of Oral Rehab. 2001; 28: 1045-7.
6. Domiciano SJ, Colucci V, Serra MC. Effect of Two Restorative Materials on Root Dentine Erosion. J Biomed Mater Res. Part B: Applied Biomaterials. Wiley InterScience. DOI: 10.1002/jbm.b.31532
7. Johansson A, Omar R, Carksson GE, Johansson A. Dental Erosion and Its Growing Importance in Clinical Practice: From Pastto Present. Int J Dent, 2012; 1-17.
8. Fatima N, Abidi SYA, Qazi F, Jat AS. Effect of different tetra pack juices on microhardness of direct tooth colored-restorative materials The Saudi Dent J. 2013; 25:29–32
9. Hengtrakool C, Kukiattrakoon B, Kedjarune-Leggat U. Effect of naturally acidic agents on microhardness and surface micromorphology of restorative materials. Europ J Dent. 2011; 5:89-100.
10. Zhou SL, Zhou J, Watanabe S, Watanabe K, Wen LY, Xuan K. In vitro study of the effects of fluoride-releasing dental materials on remineralization in an enamel erosion model. J Dent. 2012; 40:255-63.
11. Yu H, Buchalla W, Cheng H, Wiegand A, Attin T. Topical fluoride application is able to reduce acid susceptibility of restorative Materials. Dent Mater J, 2012; 31(3):433–44.
Cochrane NJ, Cai F, Huq FN, Burrow MF, Reynolds EC. New Approaches to Enhanced Remineralization of Tooth Enamel. J Dent Res. 2010; 89(11):1187-97.
12. Elkassas D and Arafa A. Remineralizing efficacy of different calcium-phosphate and fluoride based delivery vehicles on artificial caries like enamel lesions. J Dent. 2014; 42: 466-74.
13. Attin T, Wegehaupt FJ. Impact of erosive conditions on tooth-colored restorative materials. Dent Mater. 2014;30:43-9.
Comar LP, Cardoso CAB, Charone S, Grizzo LT, Buzalaf MAR, Magalhães AC. TiF4 and NaF varnishes as anti-erosive agents on enamel and dentin erosion progression in vitro. J Appl Oral Sci. 2015;23(1):14-8.
14. de Queiroz, MMV; Shibasaki, PAN; Lima, MJP; de Araújo, RPC; Foxton, RM; Cavalcanti, AN. Effect of erosion and methods for its control on the surface roughness of composite resin. Rev Odonto Cienc. 2017; 32(2):88-93
15. Toda S, Featherstone JD. Effects of fluoride dentifrices on enamel lesion formation. J Dent Res. 2008, 87(3): 224-7.
16. Medeiros IS, Gomes MN, Loguercio AD, Filho LER. Diametral tensile strength and Vickers hardness of a composite after storage in diferente solutions. J Oral Sci. 2007; 49(1): 61-6.
17. Faria ACL, Benassi UM, Rodrigues RCS, Ribeiro RF, Mattos AGC. Analysis of the Relationship between the Surface Hardness and Wear Resistance of Indirect. Composites Used as Veneer Materials. Braz Dent J (2007) 18(1): 60-4.
18. Firoozmand LM, Araujo MAM. Water sorption, hardness and scanning electron microscopy evaluation of dental composite resins submitted to high-risk decay model and intensive treatment with fluoride. Acta Odontol Latinoam. 2011; 24(2): 141-9.
19. Bakar WZW, McIntyre J. Susceptibility of selected tooth-coloured dental materials to damage by common erosive acids. Australian Dent J. 2008;53: 226–34.
20. Lepri, CP and Palma-Dibb, RG. Influence of surface sealant on the color-stability of a composite resin immersed in different beverages. Oral Health Dent Manag. 2014;13(3):600-4.
21. Sundaram G, Wilson R, Watson TF, Bartlett D. Clinical Measurement of Palatal Tooth Wear Following Coating by a Resin Sealing System. Oper Dent. 2007, 32-6, 539-43.
22. Flury S, Koch T, Peutzfeldt A, Lussi A, Ganss C. The effect of a tin-containing fluoride mouth rinse on the bond between resin composite and erosively demineralised dentin. Clin Oral Invest. 2013; 17: 217–22.
23. Algarni AA, Lippert F, Hara AT. Efficacy of stannous, fluoride and their their combination in dentin erosion prevention in vitro. Braz Oral Res. 2015; 29(1): 1-5.
24. Yeh S, Wang H, Liao H, Su S, Chang C, Kao H, Lee B. The roughness, microhardness, and surface analysis of nanocomposites after application of topical fluoride gels. Dent Mater. 2007 27:187–196.
25. Reynolds EC, Cai F, Cochrane NJ, Shen P, Walker GD, Morgan MV, Reynolds C. Fluoride and Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate. Braz Oral Res [online]. 2015;29(1):1-5
26. West NX, Seong J, Hellin N, Eynon H, Barker ML, He T. A clinical study to measure anti-erosion properties of a stabilized stannous fluoride dentifrice relative to a sodium fluoride/triclosan dentifrice.Int J Dent Hygiene. 2017; 113–9
27. Kato MT, Leite AL, Hannas AR, Calabria MP, Magalhães AC, Pereira JC et al. Impact of protease inhibitors on dentin matrix degradation by collagenase. J Dent Res. 2012; 91(12): 1119-23.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.