Individuals’ quality of life in periodontal maintenance therapy - critical literature review.
AbstractAbstract: Oral health is an integral part of an individual’s general health, interfering with all dimensions of life: functional, aesthetic, psychological, social, physical, nutritional, and even psychosocial. Hence oral health is directly related to quality of life. Periodontitis is one of the most prevalent oral diseases and one of the major causes of tooth loss, impacting negatively on self-reported individuals’ quality of life. Periodontal maintenance therapy aims to effectively minimize the recurrence of periodontal disease, as well as the incidence of tooth loss. In periodontal literature, studies associated with quality of life indicators, presented in the form of questionnaires aimed at measuring the impact of periodontitis and tooth loss on self-reported individual’s quality of life, highlight the "Oral Impacts on Daily Performance" (OIDP) and "Oral Health Impact Profile" (OHIP). As such, this study presents a critical review of the literature and describes the impact of periodontal disease and tooth loss on the quality of life of patients undergoing periodontal maintenance therapy.
2. Tonetti MS, Steffen P, Muller-Campanile V, Suvan J, Lang NP. Initial extractions and tooth loss during supportive care in a periodontal population seeking comprehensive care. J Clin Periodontol. 2000;27(11):824–31.
3. Axelsson P, Nyström B, Lindhe J. The long-term effect of a plaque control program on tooth mortality, caries and periodontal disease in adults. Results after 30 years of maintenance. J Clin Periodontol. 2004;31(9):749–57.
4. Manresa C, Sanz-Miralles EC, Twigg J, Bravo M. Supportive periodontal therapy (SPT) for maintaining the dentition in adults treated for periodontitis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018;1(1):CD009376.
5. Needleman I, McGrath C, Floyd P, Biddle A. Impact of oral health on the life quality of periodontal patients. J Clin Periodontol. 2004;31(6):454–7.
6. Cunha-Cruz J, Hujoel PP, Kressin NR. Oral health-related quality of life of periodontal patients. J Periodontal Res. 2007;42(2):169–76.
7. Lopes MWF, Gusmão ES, Alves RV, Cimões R. The impact of chronic periodontitis on quality of life in Brazilian subjects. Acta Stomatol Croat. 2009;43(2):89–98.
8. Ferreira MC, Dias-Pereira AC, Branco-de-Almeida LS, Martins CC, Paiva SM. Impact of periodontal disease on quality of life: a systematic review. J Periodontal Res. 2017;52(4):651–65.
9. Cortelli SC, Costa FO, Gargioni-Filho A, Aquino DR, Cota LOM, Scherma AP, Miranda TB, Cortelli JR. Impact of gingivitis treatment for diabetic patients on quality of life related to periodontal objective parameters: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Arch Oral Biol. 2018;86:80–6.
10. World Health Organization. Constitution of the World Health Organization -Basic Documents- Forty-fifth edition, Supplement; October 2006; United Nations.
11. Slade GD, Spencer AJ. Development and evaluation of the Oral Health Impact Profile. Community Dent Health. 1994;11(1):3–11.
12. Oliveira BH, Nadanovsky P. Psychometric properties of the Brazilian version of the Oral Health Impact Profile-short form. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2005;33(4):307–14.
13. Melas F, Marcenes W, Wright PS. Oral health impact on daily performance in patients with implant-stabilized overdentures and patients with conventional complete dentures. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2001;16(5):700–12.
14. Tsakos G, Bernabé E, D'Aiuto F, Pikhart H, Tonetti M, Sheiham A, Donos N. Assessing the minimally important difference in the oral impact on daily performances index in patients treated for periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2010;37(10):903–9.
15. Fisher S, Kells L, Picard JP, Gelskey SC, Singer DL, Lix L, Scott DA. Progression of periodontal disease in a maintenance population of smokers and non-smokers: a 3-year longitudinal study. J Periodontol. 2008;79(3):461–8.
16. Borrell LN, Burt BA, Warren RC, Neighbors HW. The role of individual and neighborhood social factors on periodontitis: the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Periodontol. 2006;77(3):444–53.
17. American Academy of Periodontology. Parameter on periodontal maintenance. J Periodontol. 2000;71(5 Suppl):849–50.
18. Wilson TG Jr, Hale S, Temple R. The results of efforts to improve compliance with supportive periodontal treatment in a private practice. J Periodontol. 1993;64(4):311–4.
19. Checchi L, Montevecchi M, Gatto MR, Trombelli L. Retrospective study of tooth loss in 92 treated periodontal patients. J Clin Periodontol. 2002;29(7):651–6.
20. Ng MC, Ong MM, Lim LP, Koh CG, Chan YH. Tooth loss in compliant and non-compliant periodontally treated patients: 7 years after active periodontal therapy. J Clin Periodontol. 2011;38(5):499–508.
21. Lorentz TC, Cota LO, Cortelli JR, Vargas AM, Costa FO. Prospective study of complier individuals under periodontal maintenance therapy: analysis of clinical periodontal parameters, risk predictors and the progression of periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol. 2009;36(1):58–67.
22. Shah R, Thomas R, Bhandari S, Mehta DS. Influence of various factors on patient compliance after periodontal therapy: A pilot study. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2017;21(1):50–4.
23. Costa FO, Cota LO, Lages EJ, Lima Oliveira AP, Cortelli SC, Cortelli JR, Lorentz TC, Costa JE. Periodontal risk assessment model in a sample of regular and irregular compliers under maintenance therapy: a 3-year prospective study. J Periodontol. 2012;83(3):292–300.
24. Lorentz TC, Cota LO, Cortelli JR, Vargas AM, Costa FO. Tooth loss in individuals under periodontal maintenance therapy: prospective study. Braz Oral Res. 2010;24(2):231–7.
25. Costa FO, Lages EJ, Cota LO, Lorentz TC, Soares RV, Cortelli JR. Tooth loss in individuals under periodontal maintenance therapy: 5-year prospective study. J Periodontal Res. 2014;49(1):121–8.
26. Lee CT, Huang HY, Sun TC, Karimbux N. Impact of Patient Compliance on Tooth Loss during Supportive Periodontal Therapy: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. J Dent Res. 2015;94(6):777–86.
27. Fardal Ø, Fardal P, Persson GR. Periodontal and general health in long-term periodontal maintenance patients treated in a Norwegian private practice: a descriptive report from a compliant and partially compliant survivor population. J Periodontol. 2013;84(10):1374–81.
28. Fardal Ø, Grytten J. Applying quality assurance in real time to compliant long-term periodontal maintenance patients utilizing cost-effectiveness and cost utility. J Clin Periodontol. 2014;41(6):604–11.
29. Costa FO, Santuchi CC, Lages EJ, Cota LO, Cortelli SC, Cortelli JR, Lorentz TC, Costa JE. Prospective study in periodontal maintenance therapy: comparative analysis between academic and private practices. J Periodontol. 2012;83(3):301–11.
30. Trombelli L, Franceschetti G, Farina R. Effect of professional mechanical plaque removal performed on a long-term, routine basis in the secondary prevention of periodontitis: a systematic review. J Clin Periodontol. 2015;42(Suppl 16):S221–36.
31. Wu D, Yang HJ, Zhang Y, Li XE, Jia YR, Wang CM. Prediction of loss to follow-up in long-term supportive periodontal therapy in patients with chronic periodontitis. PLoS One. 2018;13(2):e0192221.
32. Martinez-Canut P. Predictors of tooth loss due to periodontal disease in patients following long-term periodontal maintenance. J Clin Periodontol. 2015;42(12):1115–25.
33. Kim SY, Lee JK, Chang BS, Um HS. Effect of supportive periodontal therapy on the prevention of tooth loss in Korean adults. J Periodontal Implant Sci. 2014;44(2):65–70.
34. Wang TF, Fang CH, Hsiao KJ, Chou C. Effect of a comprehensive plan for periodontal disease care on oral health-related quality of life in patients with periodontal disease in Taiwan. Medicine. 2018;97(5):e9749.
35. Chambrone L, Chambrone D, Lima LA, Chambrone LA. Predictors of tooth loss during long-term periodontal maintenance: a systematic review of observational studies. J Clin Periodontol. 2010;37(7):675–84.
36. Tan H, Peres KG, Peres MA. Retention of Teeth and Oral Health-Related Quality of Life. J Dent Res. 2016;95(12):1350–7.
37. Al-Harthi LS, Cullinan MP, Leichter JW, Thomson WM. The impact of periodontitis on oral health-related quality of life: a review of the evidence from observational studies. Aust Dent J. 2013;58(3):274–7.
38. Haag DG, Peres KG, Balasubramanian M, Brennan DS. Oral Conditions and Health-Related Quality of Life: A Systematic Review. J Dent Res. 2017;96(8):864–74.
39. Lu HX, Xu W, Wong MC, Wei TY, Feng XP. Impact of periodontal conditions on the quality of life of pregnant women: a cross-sectional study. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2015;13:67.
40. Costa FO, Miranda Cota LO, Pereira Lages EJ, Vilela Câmara GC, Cortelli SC, Cortelli JR, Costa JE, Medeiros Lorentz TC. Oral impact on daily performance, personality traits, and compliance in periodontal maintenance therapy. J Periodontol. 2011;82(8):1146–54.
41. Ferreira MC, Dias-Pereira AC, Branco-de-Almeida LS, Martins CC, Paiva SM. Impact of periodontal disease on quality of life: a systematic review. J Periodontal Res. 2017;52(4):651–65.
42. Wallander JL, Schmitt M, Koot HM. Quality of life measurement in children and adolescents: issues, instruments, and applications. J Clin Psychol. 2001;57(4):571–85.
43. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Oral Health in America:A Report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: United States: Department of Heal and Human Services, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, National Institutes of Health; 2000.
44. Slade GD. Derivation and validation of a short-form oral health impact profile. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1997;25(4):284–90.
45. Lawal FB, Taiwo JO, Arowojolu MO. Comparison of two oral health-related quality of life measures among adult dental patients. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2015;13(1):65–74.
46. Drumond-Santana T, Costa FO, Zenóbio EG, Soares RV, Santana TD. [Impact of periodontal disease on quality of life for dentate diabetics]. Cad Saude Publica. 2007;23(3):637–44.
47. Silva ME, Villaça EL, Magalhães CS, Ferreira EF. [Impact of tooth loss in quality of life]. . Cien Saude Colet. 2010;15(3):841–50.
48. Borges Tde F, Regalo SC, Taba M Jr, Siéssere S, Mestriner W Jr, Semprini M. Changes in masticatory performance and quality of life in individuals with chronic periodontitis. J Periodontol. 2013;84(3):325–31.
49. Ostberg AL, Hall-Lord ML. Oral health-related quality of life in older Swedish people with pain problems. Scand J Caring Sci. 2011;25(3):510–6.
50. Adulyanon S, Sheiham A. A new socio-dental indicator of oral impacts on daily performances. J Dent Res. 1996;75:1711.
51. Tsakos G, Marcenes W, Sheiham A. The relationship between clinical dental status and oral impacts in an elderly population. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2004;2(3):211–20.
52. Wandera MN, Engebretsen IM, Rwenyonyi CM, Tumwine J, Astrøm AN, PROMISE-EBF Study Group. Periodontal status, tooth loss and self-reported periodontal problems effects on oral impacts on daily performances, OIDP, in pregnant women in Uganda: a cross-sectional study. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2009;7:89.
53. Chalub LLFH, Ferreira RC, Vargas AMD. Influence of functional dentition on satisfaction with oral health and impacts on daily performance among Brazilian adults: a population-based cross-sectional study. BMC Oral Health. 2017;17(1):112.
54. Santuchi CC, Cortelli JR, Cortelli SC, Cota LO, Fonseca DC, Alencar CO, Costa FO. Scaling and Root Planing per Quadrant Versus One-Stage Full-Mouth Disinfection: Assessment of the Impact of Chronic Periodontitis Treatment on Quality of Life--A Clinical Randomized, Controlled Trial. J Periodontol. 2016;87(2):114–23.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.