Hybrid lesion formed by a complex odontoma and dentigerous cyst: radiographic and histomorphological findings. A case report.
AbstractHybrid lesions of the oral cavity are infrequent and share characteristics with a number of other pathologies. Both odontomas and dentigerous cysts are of odontogenic origin, but their simultaneous occurrence is rare and scarce. Clinical and radiographic examinations are not conclusive, making their identification difficult, while histopathological studies can reveal their defining characteristics. The aim of this report was to describe the radiographic and histomorphological findings of a hybrid lesion formed by a complex odontoma and a dentigerous cyst, affecting the mandible of a 22-year-old man, from Cartagena, Colombia, who had no relevant medical history, and no symptoms or discomfort in the affected area.
2. Qizhang X, Hongliang Z, Xiaoyu W, Zhanji W, Qianqian X, Qiong M. [Complex odontoma with dentigerous cyst: a case report]. Hua Xi Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2014;32(6):616–7.
3. Moritani N, Nakataa N, Yamachika E, Matsumuraa T, Nagatsukac H, Iida S. A case of a calcifying cystic odontogenic tumor with odontoma in a 5-year-old boy. Oral Maxillofac Surg Med Pathol. 2016;28(5):421–5.
4. Kale YJ, Dahake PT, Patil PS, Dadpe MV. Management of a massive compound odontoma in a 9-year child. Contemp Clin Dent. 2016;7(3):409–12.
5. Tuczyńska A, Bartosik D, Abu-Fillat Y, Sołtysik A, Matthews-Brzozowska T. Compound odontoma in the mandible--case study and literature review. Dev Period Med. 2015;19(4):484–9.
6. Thistle BL, Campos DM, Rascón MN, Ríos V, Nevárez A. Aspectos descriptivos del odontoma: revisión de la literatura . Rev Odont Mex. 2016;20(4):272–6.
7. Sridevi K, Kaushik A, Ramaswamy P, Manjula M, Vinod VC, Aravinda K. Dentigerous Cysts of Maxillofacial Region- Clinical, Radiographic and Biochemical Analysis. Kathmandu Univ Med J. 2015;13(49):8–11.
8. Dagrus K, Purohit S, Manjunatha BS. Dentigerous cyst arising from a complex odontoma: an unusual presentation. BMJ Case Rep. 2016;2016(10.1136):bcr-2016–214936.
9. Moritani M, Nakata N, Yamachika E, Matsumura T, Nagatsuka H, Iida S. Odontoma-associated calcifying cystic odontogenic tumour: Report of a case. J Pierre Fauchard Acad . 2017;31(1):25–9.
10. de Sousa AA, Serpa MR, Queiroz NV, Manzi FR, Horta MCR, Souza PEA. Tumor odontogénico calcificante cístico associado a odontoma: relato de caso. Rev Port Estomatol Med Dent Cir Maxilofac. 2015;56(3):188–94.
11. Astekar M, Manjunatha BS, Kaur P, Singh J. Histopathological insight of complex odontoma associated with a dentigerous cyst. BMJ Case Rep. 2014;2014:pii: bcr2013200316.
12. Sales MA, Cavalcanti MG. Complex odontoma associated with dentigerous cyst in maxillary sinus: case report and computed tomography features. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2009;38(1):48–52.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.