Oral health status of a sample of Venezuelan patients with spina bifida. A cross-sectional study.
AbstractSpina bifida (SB) is a congenital malformation of the spinal cord associated with several vertebral abnormalities caused by incomplete neural tube closure. The aim of this study is to report on the oral health status of a sample of Venezuelan patients with SB. Materials and Methods: An observational cross-sectional study was performed in 30 patients with SB to determine their oral health status and other variables of interest. Results: A 46.7% of the patients had a history of caries: 22% in the 1-4 year group, 71.4% in the 5-7 year group, and 100% in the 8-16 year group. The dmft and DMFT indices were 1.55 and 3.50, respectively. A 46.7% of the patients had gingivitis, 30% had dental calculus, with an OHI-S of 2. The 83% had Angle Class II and 17%, Angle Class I. A 40% had parafunctional habits such as digital suction, use of pacifiers and onicophagia. The 70% had deep palate. Conclusions: Patients with SB have specific oral characteristics and risk factors that must be taken into account in dental treatments to provide adequate care and improve their quality of life.
2. de Queiroz AM, Saiani RA, Rossi CR, Gomes-Silva JM, Nelson-Filho P. Oral findings and dental care in a patient with myelomeningocele: case report of a 3-year-old child. Braz Dent J. 2009;20(5):434–8.
3. Scofield JC, Campbell PR. Integrating the spina bifida patient into the general dental practice. J Pract Hygiene. 2001:27–31.
4. Laharwal MA, Sarmast AH, Ramzan AU, Wani AA, Malik NK, Arif SH, Rizvi M. Epidemiology of the neural tube defects in Kashmir Valley. Surg Neurol Int. 2016;7:35.
5. Requeijo MJ, Bunduki V, Francisco RP, Lopes MA, Ruano R, Zugaib M. Comparison of Two- and Three-dimensional Ultrasonography in the Evaluation of Lesion Level in Fetuses with Spina Bifida. Rev Bras Ginecol Obstet. 2016;38(3):120–6.
6. Garg A, Revankar AV. Spina bifida and dental care: key clinical issues. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2012;40(11):861-5–868-9.
7. van Rooij IA, Groenen PM, van Drongelen M, Te Morsche RH, Peters WH, Steegers-Theunissen RP. Orofacial clefts and spina bifida: N-acetyltransferase phenotype, maternal smoking, and medication use. Teratology. 2002;66(5):260–6.
8. Apitz-Castro R. Los niveles de ácido fólico en la población venezolana y su impacto en el área de salud pública. An Venez Nutr. 2015;28(1):21–7.
9. Fletcher JM, Brei TJ. Introduction: Spina bifida--a multidisciplinary perspective. Dev Disabil Res Rev. 2010;16(1):1–5.
10. Filler G, Gharib M, Casier S, Lödige P, Ehrich JH, Dave S. Prevention of chronic kidney disease in spina bifida. Int Urol Nephrol. 2012;44(3):817–27.
11. Hascoet J, Manunta A, Brochard C, Arnaud A, Damphousse M, Menard H, Kerdraon J, Journel H, Bonan I, Odent S, Fremond B, Siproudhis L, Gamé X, Peyronnet B, French Referral Network of Spina Bifida. Outcomes of intra-detrusor injections of botulinum toxin in patients with spina bifida: A systematic review. Neurourol Urodyn. 2016
12. Kabani F, Anderson M. Treating children with Spina Bifida. Dimensions Dent Hygiene. 2012;10(4):52–55-57.
13. Salih MA, Murshid WR, Seidahmed MZ. Epidemiology, prenatal management, and prevention of neural tube defects. Saudi Med J. 2014;35(Suppl 1):S15–28.
14. Braúna AP, Abreu MH, Resende VL, Castilho LS. Risk factors for dental caries in children with developmental disabilities. Braz Oral Res. 2016;30(1):e79.
15. Solanki J, Gupta S, Arya A. Dental caries and periodontal status of mentally handicapped institutilized children. J Clin Diagn Res. 2014;8(7):ZC25–7.
16. Castillo DV, García MS. Prevalencia de caries dental en la población infantil que acuden al ambulatorio urbano "La Haciendita" en el Municipio Mariara, Estado Carabobo. Acta Odontol Venez. 2011;49(4):1–9.
17. Weingaertner J, Fanghaenel J, Bienengraeber V, Gundlach KK. Initial findings on teratological and developmental relationships and differences between neural tube defects and facial clefting. First experimental results. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2005;33(5):297–300.
18. Arth A, Kancherla V, Pachón H, Zimmerman S, Johnson Q, Oakley GP Jr. A 2015 global update on folic acid-preventable spina bifida and anencephaly. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Terato. 2012;106:520–9.
19. Goumy C, Gay-Bellile M, Eymard-Pierre E, Kemeny S, Gouas L, Déchelotte P, Gallot D, Véronèse L, Tchirkov A, Pebrel-Richard C C, Vago P. De novo 2q36.1q36.3 interstitial deletion involving the PAX3 and EPHA4 genes in a fetus with spina bifida and cleft palate. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2014;100(6):507–11.
20. Cremer R, Mennicken O. Longitudinal study on specific IgE against natural rubber latex, banana and kiwi in patients with spina bifida. Klin Padiatr. 2011;223(6):352–5.
21. Kumar RP. Latex allergy in clinical practice. Indian J Dermatol. 2012;57(1):66–70.
22. Gawchik SM. Latex allergy. Mt Sinai J Med. 2011;78(5):759–72.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.