Effectiveness of three electronic apex locators to determine root canal working length.
AbstractThe aim of this study was to evaluate in vivo the accuracy of three electronic apex locators (EALs) in determining working length (WL) using hand files and a wear technique. Thirty two premolars that were completely formed apically and that were scheduled for extraction for orthodontic reasons from patients between ages of 15 and 20 years old were included. Electronic measurement of WL was performed using the EAL according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The following three EAL were used: A. Root ZX II; B. Raypex 5, and C. Propex II. There were significant difference (p = 0,0002) when comparing median differences among the three EAL. Statistical analysis revealed significant differences between Root ZX II vs. Raypex 5 and Root ZX II vs. Propex II (p = 0,0044; p = 0,0002), while between Raypex 5 and Propex II, there were no statistically significant differences with respect to the accuracy of the EAL in determining WL (p = 0,1087). The present findings suggest that Root ZX II presented the highest agreement rate for determining the final WL.
2. Duran-Sindreu F, Stöber E, Mercadé M, Vera J, Garcia M, Bueno R, Roig M. Comparison of in vivo and in vitro readings when testing the accuracy of the Root ZX apex locator. J Endod. 2012;38:236-9.
3. Pineda F, Kuttler Y. Mesiodistal and buccolingual roentgenographic investigation of 7,275 root canals. Oral Surg, Oral Med, Oral Pathol. 1972:33:101-10.
4. Kim YJ, Chandler NP. Determination of working length for teeth with wide or immature apices: a review. Int Endod J. 2013;46:483-91.
5. Ushiyama J. New principle and method for measuring the root canal length. J Endod. 1983;9:97-104.
6. Kobayashi C, Suda H. New electronic measuring device based on the ratio method. J Endod. 1994;20:111-4.
7. Welk AR, Baumgartner JC, Marshall JG. An in vivo comparison of two frequency-based electronic apex locators. J Endod. 2003;29:497-500.
8. Guise GM, Goodell GG, Imamura GM. In vitro comparison of three electronic apex locators. J Endod. 2010;36:279-81.
9. Cianconi L, Angotti V, Felici R, Conte G, Mancini M. Accuracy of three electronic apex locators compared with digital radiography: an ex vivo study. J Endod. 2010;2003-7.
10. Silveira LF, Petry FV, Martos J, Neto JB. In vivo comparison of the accuracy of two electronic apex locators. Aust Endod J. 2011;37:70-2.
11. Soares RM, Silva EJ, Herrera DR, Krebs RL Coutinho-Filho TS. Evaluation of the Joypex 5 and Root ZX II: an in vivo and ex vivo study. Int Endod J. 2013:904-9.
12. Moscoso S, Pineda K, Basilio J, Alvarado C, Roig M, Duran-Sindreu F. Evaluation of Dentaport ZX and Raypex 6 electronic apex locators: an in vivo study. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2014;19:e202-5.
13. Cimilli H, Aydemir S, Arıcan BG. Mumcu GN, Chandler N, Kartal N. Accuracy of the Dentaport ZX apex locator for working length determination when retreating molar root canals. Aust Endod J. 2014;40:2-5.
14. Sadeghi S, Abolghasemi M. The accuracy of the Raypex5 electronic apex locator using stainless-steel hand K-file versusnickel-titanium rotary Mtwo file. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2010;15:e788-90.
15. Vieyra JP, Acosta J. Comparison of working length determination with radiographs and four electronic apex locators. Int Endod J. 2011;44:510-8.
16. ElAyouti A, Weiger R, Löst C. The ability of Root ZX apex locator to reduce the frequency of overestimated radiographic working length. J Endod. 2002;28: 116-9.
17. Siu C, Marshall JG, Baumgartner JC. An in vivo comparison of the Root ZX II, the Apex NRG XFR, and Mini Apex Locator by using rotary nickel-titanium files. J Endod. 2009;37:962-5.
18. Ravanshad S, Adl A, Anvar J. Effect of working length measurement by electronic apex locator or radiography on the adequacy of final working length: a randomized clinical trial. J Endod. 2010;36:1753-6.
19. Goldberg F, De Silvio AC, Manfré S, Nastri N. In vitro measurement accuracy of an electronic apex locator in teeth with simulated apical resorption. J Endod. 2002;28:461-3.
20. Kielbassa AM, Muller U, Muñiz I, Monting JS. Clinical evaluation of the measuring accuracy of Root ZX in primary teeth. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2003;95:94-100.
21. Ding J, Gutmann JL, Fan B, Lu Y, Chen H. Investigation of apex locators and related morphological factors. J Endod. 2010;36;1399-403.
22. Pascon EA, Marrelli M, Congi O, Ciancio R, Miceli R, Versiani MA. An in vivo comparison of working length determination of two frequency-based electronic apex locators. J Endod. 2009;42:1026-31.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.