Reporting quality of papers published in Chilean dental journals. Evaluation period: 2002-2012.
AbstractAim: To assess the quality report of published research between 2002-2012 in Chilean dental journals. Materials and methods: Bibliometric analysis. Ancillary study from the former published dataset of indexed research papers published in periodical dental journals between 2002-2012. Three calibrated examinators (interoperator- Kappa=.83) assessed 205 papers: 150 case-reports, 37 epidemiological research and 18 clinical trials. Quality of the report was evaluated using CARE for case report, STROBE for observational studies and CONSORT guidelines for clinical trials. Descriptive statistics were conducted. Results: Case-reports reported 35% of required methodological items; epidemiological research reported 16% of required items for materials and methods and 10% for results. Clinical research reported 29% of required materials and methods items and 20% of results items.Conclusion: Case-report, epidemiological and clinician research reports in Chilean dental journals during the 2002-2012 period are lacking of explicit key methodological items, preventing a proper research replication or clinical application of the results.
2. Lempesi E, Koletsi D, Fleming PS, Pandis N. The reporting quality of randomized controlled trials in orthodontics. J Evid-Based Dent Pract. 2014;14(2):46–52.
3. Kiriakou J, Pandis N, Fleming PS, Madianos P, Polychronopoulou A. Reporting quality of systematic review abstracts in leading oral implantology journals. J Dent. 2013;41(12):1181–7.
4. Pandis N, Polychronopoulou A, Madianos P, Makou M, Eliades T. Reporting of research quality characteristics of studies published in 6 major clinical dental specialty journals. J Evid-Based Dent Pract. 2011;11(2):75–83.
5. Pandis N, Fedorowicz Z. The international EQUATOR network: enhancing the quality and transparency of health care research. J Appl Oral Sci. 2011;19(5):0.
6. Richards D. The EQUATOR network and website. Evid Based Dent. 2007;8(4):117.
7. Schulz KF, Altman DG, Moher D. CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomized trials. Ann Intern Med. 2010;152(11):726–32.
8. Vandenbroucke JP, von Elm E, Altman DG, Gøtzsche PC, Mulrow CD, Pocock SJ, et al. Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration. PLoS Med. 2007;4(10):e297.
9. Gagnier JJ, Kienle G, Altman DG, Moher D, Sox H, Riley D, et al. The CARE guidelines: consensus-based clinical case report guideline development. J Clin Epidemiol. 2014;67(1):46–51.
10. Uribe S, Uribe D, Schuman W. Perfil bibliométrico de revistas odontológicas de Chile del período 2002-2012. Rev Clínica Periodoncia Implantol Rehabil Oral. 2014; 4(7):76–84.
11. Bylicki O, Gan HK, Joly F, Maillet D, You B, Péron J. Poor patient-reported outcomes reporting according to CONSORT guidelines in randomized clinical trials evaluating systemic cancer therapy. Ann Oncol Off J Eur Soc Med Oncol ESMO; 2014.
12. Patel MX, Collins S, Hellier J, Bhatia G, Murray RM. The quality of reporting of phase II and III trials for new antipsychotics: a systematic review. Psychol Med. 2014;1–13. In press.
13. Carlton DA, Kocherginsky M, Langerman AJ. A systematic review of the quality of randomized controlled trials in head and neck oncology surgery. The Laryngoscope. 2014; 125(1): 146-52.
14. Congreso de la República de Chile. Ley 20584 Regula los derechos y deberes que tienen las personas en relación con acciones vinculadas a su atención en salud [Internet]. 20584 Apr 24, 2012. Available from: http://bcn.cl/1m0do
15. Rajasekharan S, Vandenbulcke J, Martens L. An assessment of the quality of reporting randomised controlled trials published in paediatric dentistry journals. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent. 2014. In press.
16. Cairo F, Sanz I, Matesanz P, Nieri M, Pagliaro U. Quality of reporting of randomized clinical trials in implant dentistry. A systematic review on critical aspects in design, outcome assessment and clinical relevance. J Clin Periodontol. 2012;39(Suppl 12):81–107.
17. Marshman Z, Farid F. The quality of reporting of randomised controlled trials in dental public health. Community Dent Health. 2010;27(4):253–6.
18. Pandis N, Polychronopoulou A, Eliades T. An assessment of quality characteristics of randomised control trials published in dental journals. J Dent. 2010;38(9):713–21.
19. Froud R, Eldridge S, Diaz Ordaz K, Marinho VCC, Donner A. Quality of cluster randomized controlled trials in oral health: a systematic review of reports published between 2005 and 2009. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2012;40(Suppl 1):3–14.
20. Savithra P, Nagesh LS. Have CONSORT guidelines improved the quality of reporting of randomised controlled trials published in public health dentistry journals? Oral Health Prev Dent. 2013;11(2):95–103.
21. Pandis N, Shamseer L, Kokich VG, Fleming PS, Moher D. Active implementation strategy of CONSORT adherence by a dental specialty journal improved randomized clinical trial reporting. J Clin Epidemiol. 2014;67(9):1044–8.
22. Stevens A, Shamseer L, Weinstein E, Yazdi F, Turner L, Thielman J, et al. Relation of completeness of reporting of health research to journals’ endorsement of reporting guidelines: systematic review. BMJ. 2014;348:g3804.
23. Moreno X. Research training in dental undergraduate curriculum in Chile. J Oral Res. 2014;3(2):95–9.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.