Comparison of the anti-inflammatory effectiveness of dexamethasone as pre-surgical and post-surgical therapy in mandibular third molar surgery: A randomized clinical trial.
AbstractObjective: To compare the anti-inflammatory effectiveness of dexa-methasone as pre-surgical and post-surgical therapy in mandibular third molar surgery. Materials and methods: Randomized clinical trial conducted in 60 patients in need of mandibular third molar extraction, ages ranging from 16 to 35 years old, at the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery of the Arzobispo Loayza National Hospital during the period of January-March, 2016. Patients were distributed in two randomized groups: Group A received 4mg dexamethasone intramuscular before the surgery, and Group B received the same medication post-surgery. Facial edema was assessed using the distance between facial points, trismus was evaluated using the interincisal distance, and pain intensity was determined using a Numerical Scale (NS). Results: Facial edema values were lower in Group A at 60 minutes (p=0.002) and after the first (p=0.001) and third days (p=0.009), compared to Group B. Regarding trismus, no significant differences between the groups were found. Regarding pain intensity, the highest point was recorded at 6 hours in both groups; however, no significant differences between the groups were found. Conclusion: Pre-surgical dexamethasone administration produced a significantly greater reduction in facial edema after mandibular third molar surgery.
2. Larsen MK, Kofod T, Christiansen A-E, Starch-Jensen T. Different Dosages of Corticosteroid and Routes of Administration in Mandibular Third Molar Surgery: a Systematic Review. J Oral Maxillofac Res. 2018;9(2):e1.
3. Klongnoi B, Kaewpradub P, Boonsiriseth K, Wongsirichat N. Effect of single dose preoperative intramuscular dexamethasone injection on lower impacted third molar surgery. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;41(3):376–9.
4. Fernandes IA, de Souza GM, Pinheiro MLP, Falci SGM. Intramuscular injection of dexamethasone for the control of pain, swelling, and trismus after third molar surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018;48(5):659-668.
5. Moraschini V, Hidalgo R, Porto Barboza E dS. Effect of submucosal injection of dexamethasone after third molar surgery: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016;45(2):232–40.
6. Alcântara CEP, Falci SGM, Oliveira-Ferreira F, Santos CRR, Pinheiro MLP. Pre-emptive effect of dexamethasone and methylprednisolone on pain, swelling, and trismus after third molar surgery: a split-mouth randomized triple-blind clinical trial. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014;43(1):93–8.
7. Herrera-Briones FJ, Prados Sánchez E, Reyes Botella C, Vallecillo Capilla M. Update on the use of corticosteroids in third molar surgery: systematic review of the literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013;116(5):e342-51.
8. Barbalho JC, Vasconcellos RJ, de Morais HH, Santos LA, Almeida RA, Rêbelo HL, Lucena EE, de Araújo SQ. Effects of co-administered dexamethasone and nimesulide on pain, swelling, and trismus following third molar surgery: a randomized, triple-blind, controlled clinical trial. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;46(2):236–42.
9. Dereci O, Tuzuner-Oncul AM, Kocer G, Yuce E, Askar M, Oztuk A. Efficacy of immediate postoperative intramasseteric dexamethasone injection on postoperative swelling after mandibular impacted third molar surgery: A preliminary split-mouth study. J Pak Med Assoc. 2016;66(3):320-3.
10. Paiva-Oliveira JG, Bastos PR, Cury Pontes ER, da Silva JC, Delgado JA, Oshiro-Filho NT. Comparison of the anti-inflammatory effect of dexamethasone and ketorolac in the extractions of third molars. Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016;20(2):123-33.
11. Falci S, Lima T, Martins C, Santos C, Pinheiro M. Preemptive Effect of Dexamethasone in Third-Molar Surgery: A Meta-Analysis. Anesth Prog. 2017; 64(3):136-43.
12. General Assembly of the World Medical Association. World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects. J Am Coll Dent. 2014;81(3):14–8.
13. R de Carvalho RWF, Vasconcelos BC. Pernambuco index: predictability of the complexity of surgery for impacted lower third molars. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018;47(2):234-40.
14. Gbotolorun OM, Arotiba GT, Ladeinde AL. Assessment of factors associated with surgical difficulty in impacted mandibular third molar extraction. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007;65(10):1977-83.
15. Relief of complications after third molar surgery. Dental Abstracts. 2018;63(4): 244-5.
16. Lima TC, Bagordakis E, Falci SG, Dos Santos CR, Pinheiro ML.Pre-emptive effect of dexamethasone and diclofenac sodium associated with codeine on pain, swelling, and trismus after third molar surgery: a split-mouth randomized triple-blind controlled clinical trial. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018;76(1):60-6.
17. Ahmed Mohamed El Zayat, Eman Abdelhalem El Sharrawy, Amr Ali El Swify, Abdel Bade Abd Allah Abdel Maabod. Comparative Clinical Study of Local Submucosal Corticosteroid Versus Diclofenac Sodium Injections Before Odontectomy of Mandibular Impacted Third Molar. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018;4(1):19-24.
18. Almeida RAC, Lemos CAA, de Moraes SLD, Pellizzer EP, Vasconcelos BC. Efficacy of corticosteroids versus placebo in impacted third molar surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018.48(1):118-31
19. Al-Dajani, M. Can preoperative intramuscular single-dose dexamethasone improve patient-centered outcomes following third molar surgery? J Oral and Maxillofac Surg. 2017;75(8):1616-26.
20. Troiano G, Laino L, Cicciù M, Cervino G, Fiorillo L, D’amico C, et al. Comparison of Two Routes of Administration of Dexamethasone to Reduce the Postoperative Sequelae After Third Molar Surgery: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Open Dent J. 2018;12:181–8.
21. Koçer G, Yuce E, Tuzuner Oncul A, Dereci O, Koskan O. Effect of the route of administration of methylprednisolone on oedema and trismus in impacted lower third molar surgery. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014;43(5):639–43.
22. Afkan S, Mofateh M, Razavi M, Kazemi P. Clinical Evaluation of Dexamethasone Pills on Side Effects of Mandibular Third Molars Surgery. J Res Med Dent Sci. 2018; 6 (1): 98-106.
23. Rocha-Neto AM, Nogueira EF, Borba PM, Laureano-Filho JR, Vasconcelos BC. Application of Dexamethasone in the Masseter Muscle During the Surgical Removal of Lower Third Molars. J Craniofac Surg. 2017; 28(1):e43-e47.
24. Graziani F, D’Aiuto F, Arduino PG, Tonelli M, Gabriele M. Perioperative dexamethasone reduces post-surgical sequelae of wisdom tooth removal. A spilt-mouth randomized double-masked clinical trial. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006; 35:241–247.
25. Al-Shamiri HM, Shawky M, Hassanein N. Comparative Assessment of Preoperative versus Postoperative Dexamethasone on Postoperative Complications following Lower Third Molar Surgical Extraction. Int J Dent. 2017;2017:1350375.
26. Bortoluzzi MC, Capella DL, Barbieri T, Pagliarini M, Cavalieri T, Manfro R. A single dose of amoxicillin and dexamethasone for prevention of postoperative complications in third molar surgery: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled clinical trial. J Clin Med Res. 2013;5(1):26-33.
27. King K, Brar P, Jakubowski J, Kaltman S, Lopez E. The use of corticosteroids and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medication for the management of pain and inflammation after third molar surgery: a review of the literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009;107(5):630-40.
28. Boonsiriseth K, Klgnoi B, Sirintawat N, Saengsirinavin, C, Wongsirichat N. Comparative study of the effect of dexamethasone injection and consumption in lower third molar surgery. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;41(2):244-7.
29. Moore PA, Brar P, Smiga ER, Costello BJ. Preemptive rofecoxib and dexamethasone for prevention of pain and trismus following third molar surgery. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005;99(2):E1-7.
30. Lim D, Ngeow WC. A comparative study on the efficacy of submucosal injection of dexamethasone versus methylprednisolone in reducing postoperative sequelae following third molar surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;75(11):2278-86.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.