Quality evaluation of Systematic Reviews (PRISMA, AMSTAR-2) of platelet rich plasma as a method of tissue regeneration in odontology.
AbstractTo evaluate methodologically (PRISMA) and report (AMSTAR-2) quality of systematic reviews regarding platelet rich plasma (PRP) as a method of tissue regeneration in dental procedures. Material and Methods: A search of systematic reviews (SR) of PRP was performed in the databases PUBMED, EBSCO, The Cochrane Library, Web of Science, Lilacs, Epistemonikos, and supplemented by manual review of the bibliography of the selected articles. Covering articles published from January 2008 to August 2018, in English or Spanish. The advanced search was performed using Boolean terms AND and OR. The quality of the SRs was evaluated with the PRISMA guidelines, and the methodological quality was evaluated with the checklist of the AMSTAR-2 tool. Result: Seventeen SRs were selected. From the selected articles, 11 were cataloged as of Very good quality, three as Good and three as Moderate. Regarding the methodological quality, two articles were classified as Critically Low, one as Low, 10 Moderate and four as High quality. Conclusion: Most SRs are of high quality regarding their report and methodology, and provide an accurate summary of the results of the primary studies available. However, there is a lower percentage of RS whose methodological and drafting deficiencies make their results and conclusions unreliable, and therefore, their clinical applicability is questionable, and offer a wrong clinical vision, which is not the best and safest therapeutic measure for patients and may compromise their well-being.
2. Marx RE. Platelet-rich plasma: evidence to support its use. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004;62(4):489-96.
3. Agrawal AA. Evolution, current status and advances in application of platelet concentrate in periodontics and implantology. World J Clin Cases. 2017;5(5):159-71.
4. Saleem M, Pisani F, Zahid FM, Georgakopoulos I, Pustina-Krasniqi T, Xhajanka E, et al. Adjunctive Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) in Infrabony Regenerative Treatment: A Systematic Review and RCT’s Meta-Analysis. Stem Cells Int. 2018;2018:9594235.
5. Dohan Ehrenfest DM, Sammartino G, Shibli J, Wang H-L, Zou DR, Bernard JP. Guidelines for the publication of articles related to platelet concentrates (Platelet-Rich Plasma - PRP, or Platelet-Rich Fibrin - PRF): The international classification of the POSEIDO. POSEIDO. 2013;1:17-27.
6. Hou X, Yuan J, Aisaiti A, Liu Y, Zhao J. The effect of platelet-rich plasma on clinical outcomes of the surgical treatment of periodontal intrabony defects: A systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Oral Health. 2016;16(1):71.
7. Pocaterra A, Caruso S, Bernardi S, Scagnoli L, Continenza MA, Gatto R. Effectiveness of platelet-rich plasma as an adjunctive material to bone graft: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016;45(8):1027-34.
8. Lemos C a. A, Mello CC, dos Santos DM, Verri FR, Goiato MC, Pellizzer EP. Effects of platelet-rich plasma in association with bone grafts in maxillary sinus augmentation: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016;45(4):517-25.
9. Roselló-Camps À, Monje A, Lin GH, Khoshkam V, Chávez-Gatty M, Wang HL, Gargallo-Albiol J, Hernandez-Alfaro F. Platelet-rich plasma for periodontal regeneration in the treatment of intrabony defects: a meta-analysis on prospective clinical trials. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2015;120(5):562-74.
10. Panda S, Doraiswamy J, Malaiappan S, Varghese SS, Del Fabbro M. Additive effect of autologous platelet concentrates in treatment of intrabony defects: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Investig Clin Dent. 2016;7(1):13-26.
11. Bae J-H, Kim Y-K, Myung S-K. Effects of platelet-rich plasma on sinus bone graft: meta-analysis. J Periodontol. 2011;82(5):660-7.
12. Esposito M, Grusovin MG, Rees J, Karasoulos D, Felice P, Alissa R, et al. Effectiveness of sinus lift procedures for dental implant rehabilitation: a Cochrane systematic review. Eur J Oral Implantol. 2010; 3(1):7-26.
13. Niu W, Wang P, Ge S, Ji P. Effects of Platelet Concentrates Used in Alveolar Ridge Preservation: A Systematic Review. Implant Dent. 2018;27(4):498-506.
14. Esposito M, Felice P, Worthington HV. Interventions for replacing missing teeth: augmentation procedures of the maxillary sinus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;(5):CD008397.
15. Bousnaki M, Bakopoulou A, Koidis P. Platelet-rich plasma for the therapeutic management of temporomandibular joint disorders: a systematic review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018;47(2):188-98.
16. Kotsovilis S, Markou N, Pepelassi E, Nikolidakis D. The adjunctive use of platelet-rich plasma in the therapy of periodontal intraosseous defects: a systematic review. J Periodontal Res. 2010;45(3):428-43.
17. Plachokova AS, Nikolidakis D, Mulder J, Jansen JA, Creugers NHJ. Effect of platelet-rich plasma on bone regeneration in dentistry: a systematic review. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2008;19(6):539-45.
18. Barona-Dorado C, González-Regueiro I, Martín-Ares M, Arias-Irimia O, Martínez-González JM. Efficacy of platelet-rich plasma applied to post-extraction retained lower third molar alveoli. A systematic review. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2014;19(2):e142-8.
19. Martínez-Zapata MJ1, Martí-Carvajal A, Solà I, Bolibar I, Angel Expósito J, Rodriguez L, García J. Efficacy and safety of the use of autologous plasma rich in platelets for tissue regeneration: a systematic review. Transfusion. 2009;49(1):44-56.
20. Roffi A, Filardo G, Kon E, Marcacci M. Does PRP enhance bone integration with grafts, graft substitutes, or implants? A systematic review. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2013;14:330.
21. Arora NS, Ramanayake T, Ren Y-F, Romanos GE. Platelet-rich plasma in sinus augmentation procedures: a systematic literature review: Part II. Implant Dent. 2010;19(2):145-57.
22. Bravo SE, Oliva MP. Efectividad del plasma rico en plaquetas en la cicatrización de implantes dentales: una revisión sistemática. Int J Odontostomat. 2013;7(1):87-92.
23. Shea BJ, Reeves BC, Wells G, Thuku M, Hamel C, Moran J, Moher D, Tugwell P, Welch V, Kristjansson E, Henry DA. AMSTAR 2: a critical appraisal tool for systematic reviews that include randomised or non-randomised studies of healthcare interventions, or both. BMJ. 2017;358:j4008.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.