Relationship between cervical vertebral maturation and dental development in a sample of yemeni children and adolescents.
AbstractObjective: This study was conducted to investigate the relationship between dental development and cervical vertebral maturation stages in a group of Yemeni children and adolescents. Materials and Methods: The study included digital panoramic radiographs and lateral skull cephalograms obtained from 207 Yemeni subjects—122 females and 85 males aged between 8 to 18 years. Dental maturity was evaluated according to the method of Demirijian et al.,6 calcification stages of the left mandibular canines, first and second premolars and second molars were assessed. Skeletal maturity was assessed by the cervical vertebral maturation (CVM) stages according to the method of Baccetti et al.10 Correlation between CVM and dental maturation was evaluated by Spearman rank-order correlation coefficient (SROCC). Results: CVM and dental calcification stages were highly correlated (p<0.001) in both genders, ranging from 0.686 to 0.873 for females and 0.787 to 0.871 for males. Calcification stages of the second molars showed the strongest correlation with CVM. Conclusion: Calcification stages of the second molar may be used as a reliable maturation indicator. Dental maturation may be applied to determine the skeletal maturity status of Yemeni children and adolescents.
2. Baccetti T, Franchi L, McNamara JA Jr. An improved version of the cervical vertebral maturation (CVM) method for the assessment of mandibular growth. Angle Orthod. 2002;72(4):316-23.
3. Proffit WR. Contemporary Orthodontics - 4th ed, MOSBY Elsevier.2007.
4. Hassel B, Farman AG. Skeletal maturation evaluation using cervical vertebrae. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1995; 107(1):58-66.
5. Flores-Mir C, Burgess CA, Champney M, Jensen RJ, Pitcher MR, Major PW. Correlation of skeletal maturation stages determined by cervical vertebrae and hand-wrist evaluations.Angle Orthod. 2006;76(1):1-5.
6. Demirjian A, Goldstein H, Tanner J M. A new system of dental age assessment. Human Biology.1973; 45 (2), 211-27.
7. Krailassiri, S, Anuwongnukroh N, Dechkunakorn S. Relationships between dental calcification stages and skeletal maturity indicators in Thai individuals. Angle Orthodontist. 2002;72 (2), 155-66
8. Uysal T, Sari Z, Ramoglu SI, Basciftci FA. Relationships between dental and skeletal maturity in Turkish subjects. Angle Orthod. 2004;74(5):657-64.
9. Kumar S, Singla A, Sharma R, Virdi MS, Anupam A, Mittal B. Skeletal maturation evaluation using mandibular second molar calcification stages. Angle Orthod. 2012;82(3):501-6.
10. Başaran G, Ozer T, Hamamci N. Cervical vertebral and dental maturity in Turkish subjects. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2007;131(4):447.e13-20.
11. Engström C, Engström H, Sagne S. Lower third molar development in relation to skeletal maturity and chronological age. Angle Orthod. 1983;53(2):97-106.
12. Kopecky GR, Fishman LS. Timing of cervical headgear treatment based on skeletal maturation. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1993;104(2):162-9.
13. Valizadeh S, Eil N, Ehsani S, Bakhshandeh H. Correlation Between Dental and Cervical Vertebral Maturation in Iranian Females. Iran J Radiol. 2012;10(1):1-7
14. Baccetti T, Franchi L, McNamara Jr JA. The cervical vertebral maturation (CVM) method for the assessment of optimal treatment timing in dentofacial orthopedics. Seminars in Orthodontics. 2005;11 (3), 119-29
15. Chen J, Hu H, Guo J, Liu Z, Liu R, Li F, Zou S. Correlation between dental maturity and cervical vertebral maturity. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010;110(6):777-83.
16. McNamara JA, Bookstein FL, Shaughnessy TG. Skeletal and dental changes following functional regulator therapy on class II patients. Am J Orthod. 1985;88(2):91-110.
17. Uysal T, Ramoglu SI, Basciftci FA, Sari Z. Chronologic age and skeletal maturation of the cervical vertebrae and hand-wrist: is there a relationship? Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2006;130 (5):622-628.
18. Cossellu G, Biagi R, Pisani L, Barbieri V, Farronato G. Relationship between mandibular second molar calcification stages and cervical vertebrae maturity in Italian children and young adults. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2014;15(4):355-9.
19. Srkoč T, Meštrović S, Anić-Milošević S, Šlaj M. Association between dental and skeletal maturation stages in Croatian subjects. Acta clinica Croatica. 2015;54(4.):445-52.
20. Lecca-Morales RM, Carruitero MJ. Relationship between dental calcification and skeletal maturation in a Peruvian sample. Dental Press J Orthod. 2017;22(3):89-96.
21. Perinetti G, Contardo L, Gabrieli P, Baccetti T, Di Lenarda R. Diagnostic performance of dental maturity for identification of skeletal maturation phase. European Journal of Orthodontics. 2012;34 (4): 487-92
22. Howell JL. A study into the relationship between dental development and cervical vertebral maturation in UK subjects. [Thesis], 2015. University of Birmingham.
23. Servello DF, Fallis DW, Alvetro L. Analysis of Class II patients, successfully treated with the straight-wire and Forsus appliances, based on cervical vertebral maturation status. Angle Orthodontist. 2015;85(1):80-6.
24. Cisternas A, Morales R, Ramirez V, Real AD, Oyonarte, R. Diagnostic assessment of skeletal maturity through dental maturation in Hispanic growing individuals. APOS Trends Orthod. 2017;7:35-40
25. Hasan BM, Abu-affan AH. Correlation between Chronological Age, Dental Age and Skeletal Maturity in a Sample of Sudanese Children. Global J Med Res.2016; 16(1):12-21.
26. Nestman, TS, Marshall SD, Qian F, Holton N, Franciscus RG, Southard, TE. Cervical vertebrae maturation method morphologic criteria: poor reproducibility. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011;140(2):182-8.
27. Mini MM, Thomas V, Bose T. Correlation between Dental Maturity by Demirjian Method and Skeletal Maturity by Cervical Vertebral Maturity Method using Panoramic Radiograph and Lateral Cephalogram. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol. 2017;29(4):362-7.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.