Irrigation trends among members of the Chilean Endodontic Society.
AbstractIntroduction: The aim of this study is to determine the current trends of irrigation during root canal therapy by specialists who are members of the Chilean Endodontic Society. Materials and Method: A survey (Survey Monkey®-SurveyMonkey.com) was e-mailed to the 485 members of the Chilean Endodontic Society. The instrument was translated and adapted from the survey "Irrigation trends among American Association of Endodontists members: A web-based survey" applied in the USA in 2012. Participants answered a set of 16 questions that included irrigant selection, irrigant concentration, the adopted protocol, techniques or devices for irrigant activation. Results: 99% of respondents use sodium hypochlorite as the main irrigant. Data indicate that 74% of respondents use hypochlorite at a concentration of 5%. Most respondents (94%) also include EDTA in their usual practice. In addition, 90% of respondents reported that they activate the irrigating agent, and 94% confirmed that they perform a final irrigation protocol. Conclusion: The majority of respondents use sodium hypochlorite as the main irrigant at a concentration of 5%, use ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) as a smear removal agent, activate the irrigant, and perform a final irrigation protocol.
2. Arias-Moliz MT, Morago A, Ordinola-Zapata R, Ferrer-Luque CM, Ruiz-Linares M, Baca P. Effects of Dentin Debris on the Antimicrobial Properties of Sodium Hypochlorite and Etidronic Acid. J Endod. 2016;42(5):771–5.
3. Azim AA, Aksel H, Zhuang T, Mashtare T, Babu JP, Huang GT. Efficacy of 4 Irrigation Protocols in Killing Bacteria Colonized in Dentinal Tubules Examined by a Novel Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope Analysis. J Endod. 2016;42(6):928–34.
4. Shen Y, Zhou HM, Zheng YF, Peng B, Haapasalo M. Current challenges and concepts of the thermomechanical treatment of nickel-titanium instruments. J Endod. 2013;39(2):163–72.
5. Peters AO, Arias A, Paqué F. A Micro-computed Tomographic Assessment of Root Canal Preparation with a Novel Instrument, TRUShape, in Mesial Roots of Mandibular Molars. J Endod. 2015;41(9):1545–50.
6. Mohammadi Z, Shalavi S, Moeintaghavi A, Jafarzadeh H. A Review Over Benefits and Drawbacks of Combining Sodium Hypochlorite with Other Endodontic Materials. Open Dent J. 2017;11:661–9.
7. Bukhari S, Kim D, Liu Y, Karabucak B, Koo H. Novel Endodontic Disinfection Approach Using Catalytic Nanoparticles. J Endod. 2018;44(5):806–12.
8. Siqueira JF Jr, Pérez AR, Marceliano-Alves MF, Provenzano JC, Silva SG, Pires FR, Vieira GCS, Rôças IN, Alves FRF. What happens to unprepared root canal walls: a correlative analysis using micro-computed tomography and histology/scanning electron microscopy. Int Endod J. 2018;51(5):501–8.
9. Konstantinidi E, Psimma Z, Chávez de Paz LE, Boutsioukis C. Apical negative pressure irrigation versus syringe irrigation: a systematic review of cleaning and disinfection of the root canal system. Int Endod J. 2017;50(11):1043–54.
10. Haapasalo M, Shen Y, Wang Z, Gao Y. Irrigation in endodontics. Br Dent J. 2014;216(6):299–301.
11. Uslu G, Özyürek T, Yılmaz K, Plotino G. Effect of Dynamic Immersion in Sodium Hypochlorite and EDTA Solutions on Cyclic Fatigue Resistance of WaveOne and WaveOne Gold Reciprocating Nickel-titanium Files. J Endod. 2018;44(5):834–7.
12. Clarkson RM, Moule AJ, Podlich H, Kellaway R, Macfarlane R, Lewis D, Rowell J. Dissolution of porcine incisor pulps in sodium hypochlorite solutions of varying compositions and concentrations. Aust Dent J. 2006;51(3):245–51.
13. Macías D, Bravo V, Echeverría D. Effect of sonic versus ultrasonic activation on aqueous solution penetration in root canal dentin. J Oral Res. 2018;7(1):24–9.
14. Dutner J, Mines P, Anderson A. Irrigation trends among American Association of Endodontists members: a web-based survey. J Endod. 2012;38(1):37–40.
15. Savani GM, Sabbah W, Sedgley CM, Whitten B. Current trends in endodontic treatment by general dental practitioners: report of a United States national survey. J Endod. 2014;40(5):618–24.
16. Clarkson RM, Podlich HM, Savage NW, Moule AJ. A survey of sodium hypochlorite use by general dental practitioners and endodontists in Australia. Aust Dent J. 2003;48(1):20–6.
17. Gopikrishna V, Pare S, Pradeep Kumar A, Lakshmi Narayanan L. Irrigation protocol among endodontic faculty and post-graduate students in dental colleges of India: A survey. J Conserv Dent. 2013;16(5):394–8.
18. Willershausen I, Wolf TG, Schmidtmann I, Berger C, Ehlers V, Willershausen B, Briseño B. Survey of root canal irrigating solutions used in dental practices within Germany. Int Endod J. 2015;48(7):654–60.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.