Management of temporomandibular joint ankylosis in Yemeni children by metatarsal bone grafts.
AbstractAim: This study aimed to evaluate temporomandibular joint reconstruction in Yemeni children with metatarsal bone graft after release of ankylosis. Methodology: Ten patients ≤12 years of age, comprising eight unilateral and two bilaterally TMJ ankylosis, were selected for this study. These patients underwent reconstruction with 10 non-vascularized metatarsal grafts. The reconstructed joints were then followed for an average of 1 year. Measures of opening, symmetry, and clinical symptoms relating to the reconstructed joints were assessed. Results: Mean pre-operative interincisal aperture was 8.2mm, and immediate post-operative aperture 23.4mm. At the end of the follow-up period, acceptable results were achieved in 8 out of 10 cases, with adequate mouth opening of 35.6mm in 8 out of 10 patients and overall interincisal aperture of 30.3mm. Re-ankylosis occurred in two bilaterally-treated patients at the end of follow-up. Subjectively, 80% of the patients rated their function as satisfactory and were able to occlude and masticate without any difficulty. Conclusion: Reconstruction of TMJ after release of ankylosis utilizing metatarsal bone graft shows a satisfactory interincisal aperture in 80% of patients.
2. Mishu SM, Hasan N, Hossain A, Jabbar S. Management of juvenile temporo-mandibular joint ankylosis by gap arthroplasty. Update Dent Coll J. 2014;4(1):46–50.
3. Mabongo M. Temporomandibular joint ankylosis in children. IOSR J Dental Med Sci. 2013;12:35–41.
4. Cho JW, Park JH, Kim JW, Kim SJ. The sequential management of recurrent temporomandibular joint ankylosis in a growing child: a case report. Maxillofac Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016;38(1):39.[PubMed]
5. Arakeri G, Kusanale A, Zaki GA, Brennan PA. Pathogenesis of post-traumatic ankylosis of the temporomandibular joint: a critical review. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;50(1):8–12.
6. Bello SA, Aluko Olokun B, Olaitan AA, Ajike SO. Aetiology and presentation of ankylosis of the temporomandibular joint: report of 23 cases from Abuja, Nigeria. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;50(1):80–4.
7. Li JM, An JG, Wang X, Yan YB, Xiao EL, He Y, Zhang Y. Imaging and histologic features of traumatic temporomandibular joint ankylosis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2014;118(3):330–7.
8. Yan YB, Duan DH, Zhang Y, Gan YH. The development of traumatic temporomandibular joint bony ankylosis: a course similar to the hypertrophic nonunion? Med Hypotheses. 2012;78(2):273–6.
9. Yan YB, Zhang Y, Gan YH, An JG, Li JM, Xiao E. Surgical induction of TMJ bony ankylosis in growing sheep and the role of injury severity of the glenoid fossa on the development of bony ankylosis. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2013;41(6):476–86.
10. Yan YB, Liang SX, Shen J, Zhang JC, Zhang Y. Current concepts in the pathogenesis of traumatic temporomandibular joint ankylosis. Head Face Med. 2014;10:35.
11. Khadka A, Hu J. Autogenous grafts for condylar reconstruction in treatment of TMJ ankylosis: current concepts and considerations for the future. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;41(1):94–102.[PubMed]
12. Ma J, Liang L, Jiang H, Gu B. Gap Arthroplasty versus Interpositional Arthroplasty for Temporomandibular Joint Ankylosis: A Meta-Analysis. PLoS One. 2015;10(5):e0127652.[PubMed]
13. Muralee MC, Prasad BR, Bhat S, Bhat SS. Reconstruction of condyle following surgical correction of temporomandibular joint ankylosis:current concepts and considerations for the future. NUJHS. 2014;4(2): 39-46.
14. Katsnelson A, Markiewicz MR, Keith DA, Dodson TB. Operative management of temporomandibular joint ankylosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012;70(3):531–6.
15. Holmlund A, Lund B, Weiner CK. Mandibular condylectomy with osteoarthrectomy with and without transfer of the temporalis muscle. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013;51(3):206–10.[PubMed]
16. Mansoor N, Khan M, Mehboob B, DIN Q. GAP vs Interpositional arthroplasty in the management of temporomandibular joint ankylosis. Pak Oral Dent J. 2013;33(1):8–12.
17. Shaikh SK, Mishra M, Tiwari AK, Chander M, Gaur A, Singh H. Comparative evaluation of gap arthroplasty and interpositional arthroplasty using temporalis fascia in the management of temporomandibular joint ankylosis. J Orofac Res. 2013;3(3):170–4.
18. Bhatt K, Roychoudhury A, Bhutia O, Pandey RM. Functional outcomes of gap and interposition arthroplasty in the treatment of temporomandibular joint ankylosis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2014;72(12):2434–9.
19. Liu X, Shen P, Zhang S, Yang C, Wang Y. Effectiveness of different surgical modalities in the management of temporomandibular joint ankylosis: a meta-analysis. Int J Clin Exp Med. 2015;8(11):19831–9.
20. Sidebottom AJ. Alloplastic or autogenous reconstruction of the TMJ. J Oral Biol Craniofac Res. 2013;3(3):135–9.
21. Sharma H, Chowdhury S, Navaneetham A, Upadhyay S, Alam S. Costochondral Graft as Interpositional material for TMJ Ankylosis in Children: A Clinical Study. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2015;14(3):565–72.
22. Adekeye EO. Ankylosis of the mandible: analysis of 76 cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1983;41(7):442–9.
23. Zhu S, Wang D, Yin Q, Hu J. Treatment guidelines for temporomandibular joint ankylosis with secondary dentofacial deformities in adults. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2013;41(7):e117–27.[PubMed]
24. Movahed R, Mercuri LG. Management of temporomandibular joint ankylosis. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2015;27(1):27–35.
25. McBride KL. Total Temporomandibular Joint Reconstruction. En: Bell, W.H. Modern Practice in Orthognathic and Reconstructive Surgery. Philadelphia: WB. Saunders; 1992.
26. Passi D, Singh G, Singh S, Mehta G, Dutta S, Sharma S. Advances in temporomandibular joint reconstruction in TMJ ankylosis: Our experiences and literature review. Int J Dent Res. 2014;2(2):45–9.
27. Buncke HJ Jr, Daniller AI, Schulz WP, Chase RA. The fate of autogenous whole joints transplanted by microvascular anastomoses. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1967;39(4):333–41.
28. Landa LE, Gordon C, Dahar N, Sotereanos GC. Evaluation of long-term stability in second metatarsal reconstruction of the temporomandibular joint. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003;61(1):65–71.
29. Topazian RG. Etiology of Ankylosis of Temporomandibular joint: Analysis of 44 cases. J Oral Surg Anesth Hosp Dent Serv. 1964;22:227–33.
30. Danda AK, SR, Chinnaswami R. Comparison of gap arthroplasty with and without a temporalis muscle flap for the treatment of ankylosis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2009;67(7):1425–31.
The copyright of all the articles published in the J Oral Res. belongs to the Universidad de Concepción, Chile. All information about theJ Oral Res. is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution License 3.0 and must be cited correctly.